Precision Routing

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

dfegley

Precision Routing

Post by dfegley »

I have been researching small CNC routers and kits. The Shark Pro Plus seems to have what I am interested in. I joined this forum to get all kinds of feedback from users. I would need to add some sort of clamping devise for repeat locating of parts. My project is fairly simple, requiring a channel routed in a 1" square block with a part of the created wall removed to create an opening in the front of the block. A lid is added which pivots at one end and is held in place with rare earth magnets. This is fairly simple but must be acurate. One concern is blowout, which I experience with my current process using some jigs and a router. Simple for the Shark, right?

Buc

Re: Precision Routing

Post by Buc »

I'm not saying this would be an easy task for the shark, but I am quite sure it could be done. I would have to see a picture or drawing to be sure.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi dfegley,
This is one of the methods I use for repetitive cuts. If you have problems with blowout just have that portion facing one of the stops on the fixture.
DCP02093.JPG
DCP02094.JPG
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Buc

Post by Buc »

Bob,

Great idea and pictures of home made fixtures. Thanks. Much better looking than the one I cobbled up.

Buc

Thomas A. Edison

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Bob - thanks for sharing the pics of how you do this task - and the great jig you made.

Buc

Post by Buc »

here is a follow-up link to Vectric forum for cam clamps. http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &hilit=cam

Thomas A. Edison

Bob

Post by Bob »

In my previous post I did not give credit to the person who designed the cam clamp pictured in my fixture. I tend to forget that even though I did credit him previously in another thread, http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 3&p=84#p84 I should do it here as well.
The designer is at this address and wrote a neat article on how make the cam clamp:
http://www.shopbotblog.com/index.php/20 ... riend-cam/

Bob
"Focus"

dfegley

Post by dfegley »

Thanks! Those clamps look like a good idea. I have used the bar clamps with the wooden jaws in a similar fashion. The moveable jaw has a cam lever which puts pressure on whatever you are holding. I screw the fixed jaw to a spoiler board with a thin shim underneath, which allows the moveable jaw to slide.The bar clamps are sold by Lee Valley. I believe they are made by Klisma, or something like that. So if you are not carving, do you create a drawing on the computer? How do you program the dimensions? Thanks for the help and info. I really would like to try this machine out. Dave

Bob

Post by Bob »

Dave,
I like the cam clamps because they are easy to make and very expendable. Use brass or aluminum hardware because you will run the cutter into them eventually.

When I started creating drawings using VCarve, I used their sample programs and modified them to suit my needs. I also imported jpg drawings and converted them or drew over them as a guide.
There are also many shared designs here and on the vectric forum. Also check out other cnc forums online.
Bob
"Focus"

Flankmanoman

Post by Flankmanoman »

Is the Shark Pro Plus controller A FANUC based controller?
:shock: Thanks guys,
Tony