Software Question

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

kjackswood

Software Question

Post by kjackswood »

Does anyone know if using corel draw for converting Bitmaps and Clip ART FILES, etc.. to vector files for the CNC Shark PRO PLUS is worth the extra investment of buying Corel Draw and if so what is the best version of Corel Draw is recommended

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Software Question

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Ken,

I'm a little confused by your question. The workflow is to import a bitmap (from VCarve - File, Import, Import Bitmap). VCarve supports importing bmp, jpg, gif, tif, tiff, png and jpeg file formats. As you had indicated in a separate thread (http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=315) that the workflow question was successfully answered, I'm going to assume the question is -

Is it worth purchasing software to convert MS Office Clipart - specifically those files in the wmf format - so that I can import them into VCarve?

Of course it always depends. I do a fair amount of hobby photography and volunteer a/v work, so I've maintained a Corel PaintShop Pro license over the years. The annual upgrade price is usually something I choose to participate in.

However, there are some free bitmap/image/photo editing programs out there. One in particular - GIMP - is totally free and extremely powerful - and also simple to use. The interface is a little different than a "typical" windows application (it's lineage is linux), however it has all the normal commands you'd expect. There's also a fair amount of tutorials and information on using the power user features as well.

I just ran a quick test to be sure - Ising Gimp, I opened a windows clip art file from my office installation (a wmf file format) into gimp and exported it as a jpg. I then brought that into VCarve using the import bitmap function.
Barn Clipart
Barn Clipart
I ran the Fit Vectors to Bitmap tool, selecting black and white vice color, and got these vectors.
Vectors from Barn Clipart
Vectors from Barn Clipart
I selected all of the vectors and ran a default VCarve toolpath on them and got this.
Default VCarve Toolpath Result
Default VCarve Toolpath Result

If image conversion is what you need, you may want to try a free application like gimp (http://www.gimp.us.com)to get you going, and then decide if the free app doesn't do things you also need to do beyond format conversion before spending more $ on an application that you currently don't have, so may have limited use for outside of wood working.

kjackswood

Post by kjackswood »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for messaging me back. Actually I was trying to take a jpeg of a sports logo that I received in an email in a jpeg format. I imported it in to Vcarve and then tried the fit vectors to bitmap. Next I ran the calculate toolpath, then preview. It did not come out too clear.
It did not get all the vectors apparently. I then had a friend here at work who said he could do it in Corel Draw. I used the file he gave me and it worked perfectly. Maybe I just need to learn how to get the bitmaps traced with fit vectors option better.

Seperate issue:
I was also wondering if the corel draw would be a good investment for repairing photos and doing things like compressing and decompressing photo images for sending back and forth on email. I received an email from a friends wedding and then copied it on to a thumb drive and took it to the local Walmart to print it on there photo machine and it came out all blurry because of the way it was saved originally and when I retried it, every time I expanded the photo it got real blurry I am sure it is because of the pixel per inch ratio.

Sounds like your definately the person to talk to about these issues. Maybe Next Wave Automation should hire you to do some training videos for the machines.

Thanks again Joe.

Ken.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Ken,

I've always found having a good photo/image tool was worth paying for. In my case, after an initial investment in a "better" program, I just pay an upgrade price for the new one.

That being said, both Corel PaintShop Photo Pro and Gimp can do what your friend probably did with your jpg for VCarve and make images smaller in size to print at Walmart. In the end, depends on what is easiest for you to learn and use. I've used gimp for years in other workplaces where I only had a linux box, and it is free. I was nicely surprised to see how much capability it has when I tested it before replying to your post. The Corel app also has nice wizards already built - the gimp community has similar stuff, maybe not packaged as nicely or as easy to use.

Given that you're starting from scratch, you could choose to kick the tires on gimp, or not, before spending $ at this point. If gimp works, tell the boss you had to spend some dollars and get a few new bits instead!

Separate from photo software - what your friend probably did is take that image and sharpen the contrast, perhaps remove some of the fuzz, and/or converted the color clip art to B&W, this would give "cleaner and denser" lines for the VCarve software to pick up when using the default settings in the Trace Bitmap.

You might also try fooling with the settings in the Trace Bitmap toolbox in VCarve. You may have obtained the same outcome with your original image by increasing the number of colors/threshold and/or increasing/decreasing the Noise Filter settings.

Every picture is a little different of course. While the final outcome is driven by some extent by the original image, it can also be greatly influenced by these settings in the Trace Bitmap toolbox.

Glad to help and good luck.

Dwayne125

Post by Dwayne125 »

Hello Joe

While on the gimp subject, my daughter uses gimp for school art projects. I have seen some of her wireframe immages and they looked great for CNC. Joe, how do you use gimp to help with your CNC projects? I was also looking to adolbe and coral, but after seeing my daughters work, now im thinking gimp. Joe, you should open a thred on the types of software and how they could be used with Vectric software and CNC. I have seen many post of ppl using all kinds of free bees...um no pun intended) :twisted: and perhaps they could also post on their experiance with the software they are using? I would start the new thred but my last one bombed :cry: , so I will nudge you into this one :mrgreen:

Once again you have been very helpfull Joe
thanks Dwayne

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Dwayne - that may not be a bad idea - a new post on a couple of topics - like image software, workflows, etc. To be frank, a lot of similar information - but not all in one place - is also on the Vectric forum and other CNC spots. I know you and others know this.

With regard to Gimp - I haven't used it day in and day out for a few years. I used it extensively for several years as I was in a facility with Linux boxes - and gimp was good and free. It didn't work on windows "back then", so I've just stayed with Corel over the years. I was quite impressed the other day when I downloaded it to test before replying to this thread. At face value, I could use Gimp for everything I use Corel for with regard to CNC so far.

Right now, I'm not really using Corel for photo prep for more than 2 or 3 things:

1. Converting an image format to something I can import into VCarve or Aspire.

2. Copying a small piece of a picture into a new image with just the piece. In this case, it's just easier to only have to deal with the part of the picture I want in VCarve vice a larger image.

3. I also purchased Photo VCarve - so I've used Corel to fix up the background of an image (remove all but the subject) and put an oval around it, then bringing that image into PVC. Gimp can do this as well.

So far I've found that all of the "clip art" type things I've fooled with using the Bitmap to Vector tool haven't required any image enhancements per se - or I haven't learned that I need to do that to make life easier!

One last comment on photo software (applies to all types really) - there is always something of a learning curve, regardless of the software. Sometimes it is steeper than others, and sometimes the software can make this easier or harder. Likewise, user typically "like" what they grew up with or are familiar with - even if their chosen application isn't "as powerful" as another.

Back to this case - if you haven't spent the money for a photo package, I'd definately try Gimp. You'll probably have success, you will have some new things to learn however (would even if you purchased something), and you can spend that $ on a new tool or dinner with the boss.

On the bomb - I thought it was a great idea - only have 1 router right now. Maybe add a note to the one that keeps growing to post to the one you started so it all ends up in one place...

Happy New Year!

kjackswood

Post by kjackswood »

I tried the download of the GIMP and it has nothing but adverstisments, Could never get the actual software downloaded.
Tried it and had no luck.
Thanks anyhow.
I got a copy of Corel Draw 10, Gonna install it on my Computer maybe this weekend.
It should do what I need.

Thanks again for all your help Joe.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Ken,

I'm pretty surprised by that - if you download from www.gimp.org, that should not be the case. Gimp is a well established application. You'll have good luck with Corel, so probably a wash in your case. If you did download from gimp.org, then you may want to run some spychecker stuff...

In either case, hope you find the workflow you need to achieve your goals.

kjackswood

Post by kjackswood »

Joe,

Thanks for the information. I was trying to download the wrong thing. I just finished downloading the GIMP. It looks like it will take some getting used to.
So I can convert any jpeg or bitmap necessary for the V carve, right?
I have been using this other features in the V carve 6.0. I am finally making some neat stuff with my PRO PLUS machine.

Thanks again.
Ken

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Ken -

You're welcome. Yes, GIMP has all the functions of any medium to high end image/photo software package. So, you could use it to manipulate images to then use in VCarve. I've had good luck though with little manipulation required so far. In the end, it really depends on your source image and what you want to do with it. The most unusual thing about gimp is its appearance - with the 3 separate windows. It does take some getting used to, but it's really just about location of the tools and that it's not all in one window (dates to its linux legacy).