Cleaning and Maintenance

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

lsc

Cleaning and Maintenance

Post by lsc »

Hiyas, I had my CNC Shark Pro Plus for 4 months now, and I love it. It's my first CNC machine, and put it through a lot of tests and trials to see how much it can handle. So lately, when the gantry moves, it squeaks a lot and very loudly. So far it doesn't seem to affect the X-Y-Z movements, but I figure it will probably start to and may add wear and tear. I vacuum and clean it regularly after jobs, but I'm guessing the dust is getting into places I can't see or reach. Anybody got some guides on how I should clean and maintain it more thoroughly? What are the key locations I should look at or take apart?

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Cleaning and Maintenance

Post by jeb2cav »

Many folks use a dry silicon lubricant. There's no specified interval. In my case, I have few moans and groans if I clean and lubricate roughly 24 hours of machine time. I spray lightly on the rod or on a rag, then use a rag with light pressure on the spiral rod and run it through x,y,z jog. Use the same lubricant on the smooth rods as well. It's not just a matter of cleanliness, the machine needs some lubrication to perform at its best.

lsc

Post by lsc »

jeb2cav wrote:Many folks use a dry silicon lubricant.
Thanks for the advice. What's the difference or advantage of a dry silicone lubricant to oil base lubricants like WD-40?

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I believe the dry lubricants are less likely to attract dust/shavings - as well as "gunking up" with the dust, with time drying into tar balls, etc. Dry lubricants don't do this.