Apple and Oranges?

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

bpress54

Apple and Oranges?

Post by bpress54 »

Hello all,
I'm considering purchasing either a Pro Plus HD or an Epilog laser. I want to start a small biz doing engraving, etc and I'm wondering if anyone would recommend one machine over the other. I realize these are two different types of machines but just curious if anyone here has opinions either way about which machine would be best to start with. Thanks

spinningwood

Re: Apple and Oranges?

Post by spinningwood »

I faced the same decision a while back. Given the price of lasers, you must be looking at the zing.

If you were just doing engraving or small piece cutting, then I think the laser would be the better choice.

If you want to do carving (e.g. signs, 3D decorative carving) or large part fabrication, then a CNC Router is the far better choice.

A CNC router is a more versatile machine than a laser. It can do almost everything a laser can do (but not everything). But some of those things it won't do as fast (or maybe as good) as a laser which is an issue for a business. You need to nail down exactly what you plan to make. That will decide what is the better choice. And if you can only have one machine, some things you want to make may have to fall off the list.

A laser will require more specialized maintenance over time. The maintenance required on a CNC router can be done by just about anybody that knows which end of a screwdriver to hold. Consumables over time will run probably be about the same (bits for the cnc and tubes for the laser).

Both machines will have additional costs beyond their sticker prices (aspire for CNC if you want 3D, all the extras to make the laser do all the things you want).

It's not a good idea to run a CNC Router unattended. It's a really really really bad idea to run a laser without you sitting there watching it the entire time. Unless you are looking for an insurance payout after your shop / house burns down.

Dust control on a CNC router is nice to have, but you can live without it (for a while anyway). Exterior venting / filtration on a laser is absolutely required from the start.

I ended up going with the CNC Router over the laser because it was a better fit with what I wanted to do. There are times I wish I had a laser and when the budget allows, I will probably add one.

Be aware that the zing has some significant limitations. A laser that will allow you to be really competitive in the engraving business will cost a lot more.

Ed

bpress54

Post by bpress54 »

Thanks Ed, what you say makes a lot of sense and I didn't think about the 3D aspect.

GARYR6

Post by GARYR6 »

I have both in the shop, a desktop SHopBot (use to be a shark) and a 60 watt laser. The laser is much better at cutting out thin material (up to a 1/2 inch). The CNC at engraving, carving etc. The laser takes a lot of love and care and software work, not so much with the CNC. I might sell the laser, never the CNC.