Troubleshooting tap file

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

REG

Re: Troubleshooting tap file

Post by REG »

Adam, has your table bed been checked lately? A good machined bed is a good start for an intricate project like this. Just a thought.

acxsasx

Post by acxsasx »

Thanks for the replys.

Regarding the table levelness, on my first piece, a test run, the right side was definitely lower. I removed the table (soooo much fun) and used metal tap to get it pretty darn close to level. I ran the router to all 4 corners with hardly any difference to the naked eye and then with a piece of wood to check clearance on all 4 corners. However, I need to recheck that it is still level

I think I am running into different issues.

- not having a good clamp down on the wood
- I have my router set to "6". Need to look into what a good setting will be.
- the wood itself not being perfectly level
- the machine sits in a cold room and I wonder how much movement happens as the room warms up when I turn on the radiator.

acxsasx

Post by acxsasx »

Just to be clear, I appreciate all ideas and help.

My background is developing software applications, not working with CNC machines or wood that much. I have done a fair amount of hand carving small pieces but nothing intricate.

Most of my time so far has been trying to make the 3D masterpieces that I have floating in my head. I have recently ordered a 60deg and 30deg vbit so that I can focus on just doing 2D designs. There is a font I bought some time back that has a Celtic flair that does not look good with the 90 vbit. I need to get a table built so I can contain the dust and then get the kinks worked out of the machine itself with simpler designs.

Anyway, just wanted to be clear that I appreciate all thoughts.

Oh, Joe, I am using the default numbers on the plunge rate and such. Something else that I need to get a better understanding.

sokker13

Post by sokker13 »

You can edit the feed and plunge rate when you select the tool when creating a tool path - I've been experimenting recently and it really depends on the type of wood, tool and the design on what the rates should be - I've also changed the depth of cut depending on the design - I recently created a keyhole tool path from the "gadgets" tab and had to slow it way because the router was tourqueing and causing the keyhole to be off center. Depending on the design I am doing - I have slowed down the roughing toolpath and also the pocketing toolpath and I've tried to isolate the shallow detailed toolpaths and let them go full speed, so far so good I've eliminated quite a bit of chip out - I work with alot of oak so that is always a concern of mine.