Router bearing seized. Removed and replaced.

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

FixitMike

Router bearing seized. Removed and replaced.

Post by FixitMike »

The shaft bearing on my Bosch Colt router seized. It was out of warranty, so I took it apart. I've had it for about 2 years and used it quite a bit before I mounted it in the Shark.
1. Removed the brushes.
2. Removed the 3 screws that hold the aluminum end casting onto the router body at the chuck end.
3. Pulled the end casting off, pulling out the armature (shaft) at the same time. Keep the router body positioned with the chuck end up because there is a thrust washer way down inside that is hard to replace if it falls out.
4. Removed the nut on the end of the shaft. You have to stick a pin in one of the 4 holes and tap or pry it around to get it started. Once started, it unscrews easily.
5. Holding the end casting, I tapped on the chuck end of the armature with a plastic faced hammer until it slid out of the bearing.
6. Removed the 2 screws holding the shaft lock mechanism (inside the and removed the retaining plate and the shaft lock mechanism.
7. Used a socket that just fit against the bearing and and pressed the bearing out of the end casting (away from the chuck end) with a gear puller. It normally would not require this much force, but the bearing had spun in its plastic insert (part of the aluminum end casting). This operation actually wasn't necessary, since I ended up replacing both the bearing and the end casting.

Since the bearing had spun in the plastic insert which was part of the aluminum end casting, I had to replace both the casting and the bearing. Parts 50 & 13 at http://www.ereplacementparts.com/bosch- ... _9840.html

Kryptik

Re: Router bearing seized. Removed and replaced.

Post by Kryptik »

Thanks Mike, I was thinking today about a strip down. My brain is telling me it's far too early, but my ears are starting to pick up something.
Could you please clarify the actual bearing numbers ? Can't quite make them out on the pics. If I'm going to have a look, might as well drop in a couple of NSK's or similar.
We don't have the speed control on ours, but I'm pretty confident the shafts will be the same.

Cheers

FixitMike

Post by FixitMike »

I don't have the parts yet. The bearing is 32mm outside dia, 15 mm inside dia., and 9mm thick. It has seals both sides. That would make it a 6002-2RS.

mikemolnar

Post by mikemolnar »

I bought two new Colt routers to replace an old one and found both are running very hot. I guess it is the bearing. But these are new and are hot.

Suggestions?

Mike