Touch Probe Operation

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Jon

Touch Probe Operation

Post by Jon »

I'm trying to figure out how to use my new Touch Probe. All the new software is installed and everything seems to work. I'm having trouble understanding the setting of the Z axis. In the manual it shows some pictures and there is a little narrative but I am not "getting it".

rsellers

Re: Touch Probe Operation

Post by rsellers »

Jon.
Here is a link to a youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4hK61hstYA
It does not go into detail as to where to set z0 but in watching the video it looks like his is set at least ¾ of an inch above the table. Hope this helps.
R.W.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Jon,

I made this diagram to help me remember how I setup for scanning. Hope it helps you - welcome feedback on any lessons you learn.
Scan Probe Setup
Scan Probe Setup

Bob

Post by Bob »

Nice diagram Joe,
I placed it next to the Shark.
Thank you,
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Jon

Post by Jon »

Thanks for the responses guys, Especially you Joe. I have been studying your diagram, the youtubes, the forum and anything else I can find to help me scan a Colt 45 cal. automatic pistol (1911) which I'd like to carve a full size replica of. Maybe about .375" deep with a kind of dished area about a half inch around it. I used a resolution of .040 and completed a scan. I took quite a while to complete, maybe 3 hours. The finished scan image is kind of OK but lacks detail and looks a little crusty. I intend to increase resolution to .010 or .020 and see what happens. I plan to cut it soon and if anything remarkable happens, I'll keep you guys posted.
Another thing happened that I don't understand. I'm pretty sure I scanned in inches but the result seemed to be in metric when I imported it into a friends Aspire program.
You can no doubt imagine a pistol to scan, and I wonder if there is any way to skip the scan of the large area under the barrel and in front of the grip area? The probe spends a lot of time scanning this area which will be later edited out.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Jon,

Here's another useful post on the 'rest of the story' - importing the stl and some tool tips in Aspire: http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... hilit=scan

I'd recommend you setup a small test area that includes some of the details you want to be sure to 'get'. Scan that at various resolutions and bring it into Aspire and work to the end - ie where it is what you want to carve. Then, suck it down and scan 'the whole thing'.

There is no way to setup other than rectangular scan areas. Given that you have Aspire, you try scanning 2 or 3 rectangular areas and put them back together in Aspire. It takes a little effort the first time around, but once you understand how the tools work, it's more than feasible. Again, I found the tutorials were very valuable for learning prior to trying something like this. To be clear, there is no 'stick it back together' tutorial, but if you work through some of the 3D tool tutorials, you'll have the foundation you need.

Good luck and have fun.