Shark Pro Plus table

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

hdtheater

Shark Pro Plus table

Post by hdtheater »

I used some inspiration found on the boards and built a table for my Shark Pro Plus today. I tried really hard to find something that just needed assembly, but no go. The dimensions just never worked out. Here are a few shots of the table. I still need to make a middle shelf to sit my laptop and the controller box on. At least it is not sitting on the floor anymore!

It sits on 3 1/2" caster wheels and is made from 2x4's and MDF. As I use it more, I am sure I will add dust collection and other goodies to the table.

Thanks,

Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

recrisp

Re: Shark Pro Plus table

Post by recrisp »

That looks good Eric, you're ahead of me! heheh
Can you please elaborate on the size of the table, height, width, and depth? (...And approximate cost too if possible, if that is not prying into a personal area)
The reason I ask is, I need to build one also, and I'm not sure of the Shark Plus dimensions actually.
(Due to many, many delays, mine's still in the box...)

I looked on Craigslist for tables, I saw a few that 'could work', but they just didn't do it for me, I did find a guy that makes metal welding table for $150. or so, but I was afraid of static killing stuff, so I opted to make it myself of wood.

Anyway, that looks like it'll do all you need it to, and I will have a definite size restriction in my garage, so I need to go fairly small, as large as possible, but small by other's standards.

What's the noise like in your garage? Bad, not bad, neighbors hate you bad... heheh :D

Thanks Eric,

Randy

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

It's 37Dx33Wx30H plus casters on the bottom. It was about $150 in materials using 2x4's, MDF, screws, Liquid Nail, and 3 1/2" casters. Casters were optional, but I too am space restricted so this way I can move it around when I am going to use it and park it in the corner when I am not.

Without the casters, It is about the height of a regular desk. Any taller would have been difficult to work on.

I wanted to put a shelf in the middle, but once it was built the shelf was too close to the floor to get any benefit from it so I decided not to use it. I am now trying to figure out where to put my laptop.

One thing I may need to change is to make a larger table top. There is no room to put a dust cover over it to keep dust down. In it's current configuration, I will need to rig up a dust boot or something. I am not sure which way I want to go at this time. I probably will go the boot route since I will be carving pieces that are longer than the table can handle. I eventually want to create an index on the sides for larger pieces, but I am getting ahead of myself. :)

As far as noise, it makes no more noise than the router would by itself, so no worries there.

I drew this in AutoCAD before I built it, so if you want PM me and I can send you the drawing if you have CAD or I can make a PDF for you.

Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

recrisp

Post by recrisp »

Eric,

Thanks for the information, that helps me to know what to expect, price-wise and build-wise.

On the table top that you feel you need, all you need to do is to make a hinged folding table top that is out of the way when not in use, and you can place your laptop on it when it is.
(You can make it on two sides if needed, that way you'd have a BIG table when needed)
I actually plan on that myself, because like you, my space is limited.
ED, "Spinningwood" told me that he made his larger so he would have room to do all that was needed, so I have been thinking of at least 42", maybe 46", if I can get away with it, we'll see how that works out.
They also make the swing-out laptop stands that could work good, it's be more to buy something like that, but it'd work.
One more thing that might work is to make or buy a pull-out top that you could put the laptop on, with a lock on it to prevent it from accidentally being slid in when the laptop is on it. heh
Years ago I bought a Rubbermaid computer monitor adjustable swinging arm that would hold 30 lbs or so, it's a heavy duty arm that could easily be used for as laptop, I did use it for that later on, it just clamps onto whatever you need it to, I got it at Office Depot.

Good point about the casters, that's something else that I am going to do, and I will need to keep the height in consideration when building.

On the noise thing, I just meant that in a garage it should be considerably louder due to echoing, like if you were out there on a Sunday morning.
I have a neighbor that has a building out in back of his house, and when he's making 'stuff', I can sure hear it, and he's at least 200' away. :shock:
(I am pretty sure his noise if a saw though, it sounds like ripping to me)

If you have time, a .PDF would be good, (definitely no hurry though) I'm not sure of the way I will make it, but seeing one in that form will surely help.
No stress though, but it would be nice to see 'real' plans.
(I don't have CAD)

Thanks again Eric, I really do appreciate the trouble you went through for me.

Randy

rwind

Post by rwind »

I also would like a pdf of the table. Mine won't be arriving for about a week. So i thought i would get that constructed before it gets here. By the way do you know the weight?

REG

Post by REG »

rwind wrote: By the way do you know the weight?
You want the weight of the Shark? I just got mine in today and it is HEAVY. Just the bed is about 90 pounds. The gantry is around 15 pounds. Once assembled you will need help to lift or lower it.
Altogether with router, controller and shark I would say near 120 - 125 pounds.

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

You should be able to check the weight on Rockler's site. It was heavy and is not easy to pick up with out someone else to help. I can send you a copy of my design. Just shoot me a PM with your e-mail and I will send it to you. I don't think I can post attachments on this site.

Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Jon

Post by Jon »

Hi

Would you please tell me what some of the dimensions of the Pro Plus are? I can't seem to find them anywhere and I thought I might build a bench for it while I am waiting for it to be delivered. Has it been very dusty for you so far, where a laptop might suffer from the dust?

--Width (at the base of the machine)

--Length (again, the base)

-- height (from your table to the top of the blue work table)

--overall height (your table to the top most part of the machine)

Thanks,

Jon

PapaBear60

Post by PapaBear60 »

The table looks great. I also built one and the one thing I did - happy that I did - was NOT use casters, but put sliding pads on the bottom. Made them from that white prototyping material and screwed them onto the bottom of the box. Works great. Problem with casters is the table sort of moves around with the head and I really don't like locking casters. Anyway - it works great! Also have fold-down tables for laptop - controller sits below.