Need your expertise in purchase

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

ironcat4

Need your expertise in purchase

Post by ironcat4 »

Just a quick intro about myself and question to ask of some experienced CNC users.

I've been woodworking for about 20 years and recently got the itch to take it to a new level by adding a CNC to my shop. Searched the internet, made a few shows, scanned forums on the web and ended up here looking to ask the CNC folks my question.

If you had it to do all over again, what CNC Shark unit would you purchase today with your current level of experience?

Machine size, software, seems like such a fun task shopping, I'm not real sure which unit I should be shopping for. with that said in mind, the financial commitment is not really a problem. I've cut and sold enough wood to spend but i'd like to stay under the $5,000 price.

Thanks in advance and look forward to learning more from forum members.

Ironcat4

rsetina

Re: Need your expertise in purchase

Post by rsetina »

I've been woodworking for many years now, mostly for fun, so I in no way consider myself a professional. That said, I recently bought the CNC Shark Pro HD and was able to use it out of the box. Works great! There's a learning curve with the software like with any new program but the tutorials are good and with some use it becomes easier to understand.

I had to purchase a new pc computer and router along with the machine so by the time I was done, it cost me $5000. Just what you have to spend. Would I do it again? Yes. I've enjoyed working with it so far and I've just scratched the surface. I don't know if this helps with your decision but I thought I let you know how I feel about my purchase.
Rick

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

If I had to do it again, I'd start with the extended bed version of the Shark. It has only been a few times when I've bumped into the need to cut something larger than 24x24, but with even 36" I could be cutting out furniture parts that are just to big right now.

http://www.woodwerks.com/cnc-c-1073.html is where you can see the extended version.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

The first decision that you need to make is what do you want to do with the CNC. Size limitations could become an issue. There are things that I want to do with mine that I just can't on the size. Actually, you can with vcarve but it isn't a path that I want to deal with. I am with 4dthinker, I'd buy the extended bed. I have need that little more length quite often. If size wasn't the issue, I'd go with the black diamond right now. You get a more rigid machine, faster and some extras thrown in for a good price right now. I bought the shark pro and the biggest downside to it is the colt palm router. I wish I had gone with one capable of a full size router. The Colt is fine but with 1/4" bits limit you a bit as I find they are harder to locate without ordering.

If you are sure of the shark then you'll be using vcarve pro. Go download the trial version and watch the instructional videos to get a head start. The machine is ready to go in about 30 minutes out of the box.

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

Yes, what do you need to do? You can always extend the bed. Start with the Black Diamond and extras. Itsa good deal. Learn it. Get the strongest router you can. I have the P Cable 89x. Then, PreciseBits collets. And Sam's aluminum billet router holder. Gives you alot of flexibility.

Jon ...
Woodbury Mn
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn