letters not clean cut

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

dfsnaza

letters not clean cut

Post by dfsnaza »

the letters on my signs where the text average size is 1 inch just do not carve clean. I have to go back and clean the attached strands with a knife, or peel them out. Question is: Is their a setting im missing in set up? if so does anyone know?
Thanks, Darrin

milo30

Re: letters not clean cut

Post by milo30 »

Maybe maybe not. Pictures and more info are needed. What type of wood are you carving, what type of bit are you using, what stepover on the setting for the tool, etc. It sounds like you are vcarving letters and you have fuzzies. That is pretty typical and is better or worse depending on the type of wood, feedrate, bit sharpness etc. You can either using a sanding mop to clean it or just run your toolpath again only lowering it .01 and that will clean it out for you. Even though it takes longer to run it a second time it can be faster than manually cleaning it up.

dfsnaza

Post by dfsnaza »

Its not the bits I change them regular, I use 90 degree v bits. This happens on the second pass of the letter, if I were to run another pass .01 deeper it will probably do the same on the second pass of that run. I mainly use popple, it carves just fine on signs with larger letters..........baffled

dfsnaza

Post by dfsnaza »

My final pass over is set at.01 and the clearance pass is set at .1

milo30

Post by milo30 »

On poplar I get this all the time for me. I'd try it running at .01 and give it a shot. It such a light pass, it really doesn't carve any more and that is why it gets rid of all the fuzzies for me. Other than that, you probably just have to find a clean up procedure that works best for you. I have several different types of chisels and even just use a screw driver. If you have a dremel tool, there are several bits that you can use that will take care of it easily. Poplar is one of the primary woods that I use because it is easy for me to get locally and is cheap but I've been dealing with that issue for a few years.