Just order The Pro Plus Now what

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jbotz

Just order The Pro Plus Now what

Post by jbotz »

I just ordered the pro plus system now If only rockler could have told me what bits would work best with this system. So gentlemen what are the best bit to use with this system? I am sure I will have more question's shortly when I get it in my grubbly little hands but Not sure if I expect it this week.

Thanks,
Charlie

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Just order The Pro Plus Now what

Post by jeb2cav »

A pretty broad question - it really depends on what you want to do with the machine - at least do 1st. The 3 bit sign making set from Rockler is one option for getting going on cutting some sign like stuff. You'll want at least 1 end mill and 1 ball nose to create pockets, do rough cuts (end mill) and do some decent 3D carving. I'd recommend 1/8" and 1/4" for the end mill and at least a 1/8" ball nose to start. There may be other opinions on this and in fact I can't find right now a post that I think gave some ideas on this as well.

Good posts on bits and suppliers are:

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... bits#p1644

and

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... lier#p1056 There are probably others.

I'd download the VCarve Pro software and start making stuff and learning the software. A fully functional free trial can be downloaded at www.vectric.com. They also have tutorials available on line. There is a great forum for this software as well. You could peruse that forum - look at showcases and see what interests you and is there to learn.

I'd run through the CNC Shark Videos - available from this forum.

There's a lot of lessons learned on setup. A basic overview of just getting it running is found here - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... lier#p1056.

If you haven't even tried learning VCarve, I'd spend most of my time there and with the tutorials.

If you have some time, I'd thumb through this forum - at least Software and Shark Pro/Plus (assuming you went through the videos).

Lots of questions (not all) answered on this forum and the Vectric forum - lots of great information that is mostly not too hard to find via search.

Good luck and enjoy.

rapiddawg

Post by rapiddawg »

Welcome to the forum! Congrads on the new toy. It's like getting into Golf, once you get bite by the bug, you just can't get enough! lol

jbotz

Post by jbotz »

Thanks for the info and the wecomes guys. This is actually my second go around in the cnc world the first was with a compucarve and it did not go so well, the finish of the compucarve was not good enough to justify the price and the problems. I have done a lot of reseach in the last couple of years one which one I wanted and finally settled on purchasing the shark pro plus and hope to not be disapointed. I don't think I will be I know there will be a learning curve but I should be OK with the help of you fella's. I have ordered an aray of bits from 1/6 flute to 1/4 bull nose and most everything in between a couple of spirals so that should be stocked for a bit. I am anxiously awaiting my new toy due to the snow its now not going to be here till monday should of been friday but what are you going to do except piss off the boys and girls at UPS.

Thanks for answering my ?? and I will certainly have more to come.
Charlie