Will the Shark Work For My Project? See Photo.

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

fishinggp

Will the Shark Work For My Project? See Photo.

Post by fishinggp »

I make the attached cutouts using a scroll saw and hand dremel tool (the interior engraving). Would the Shark Pro or the Shark Pro Plus be able to do this? I need the engraving to be approximately 1/16th inch deep. Can the Shark cut completely through the wood (1/4" birch) and engrave the 1/16th inch interior engraving at the same time? Or would I need to do the engraving first and then run the wood piece again and have it completely cut out the cutouts? Thank you. Patty
Attachments
Wood Cutouts.jpg

hdtheater

Re: Will the Shark Work For My Project? See Photo.

Post by hdtheater »

It can do the job!

It would depend on how you clamped down your wood, but in my experience I would do the engravings first and then cutout all the items with a separate tool path. I use the included Rockler clamps.

Thanks,

Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

Bob

Post by Bob »

fishinggp wrote:I make the attached cutouts using a scroll saw and hand dremel tool (the interior engraving). Would the Shark Pro or the Shark Pro Plus be able to do this? I need the engraving to be approximately 1/16th inch deep. Can the Shark cut completely through the wood (1/4" birch) and engrave the 1/16th inch interior engraving at the same time? Or would I need to do the engraving first and then run the wood piece again and have it completely cut out the cutouts? Thank you. Patty
I agree with Eric.

The method that I have used:

I stick the birch to a spoiler board with carpet tape. Then clamp the board to the table.

Engrave as many figures as can fit on the board. A 1/16" straight bit works, but I now use 22 or 60 degree v bits because they are more durable. I have engraved with the 1/16" bit with success, but eventually they break. I have not been able to break a v bit yet.

Change to a 1/8" end mill and cut out all the figures. or:
(If using the 1/16" bit for engraving, it could be used for the cut out too. Durability would be the issue though.)

Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

Good point about the bits breaking. I have my Shark since August and am on my third 1/16" bit. Of course, most of that was operator error. :)
Thanks,

-Eric

GARYR6

Post by GARYR6 »

Do they have an app for that....ie. "operator error" ?

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

GARYR6 wrote:Do they have an app for that....ie. "operator error" ?

It's the order form for new bits!
Thanks,

-Eric

fishinggp

Post by fishinggp »

Thank you so much for the info. Where do you buy v bits ? I will be making a lot of these so I certainly need the longest lasting bits. I want to make sure I purchase everything I need to get started the first go around. Do you think the Shark Pro will do the job or should I go with the Shark Pro Plus? Oh by the way.....what is a spoiler board?

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

I think either will do what you need. The Plus has a few advantages over the Pro though.

1. It has more area over X and Y axis as well as Z depth.
2. It has an aluminum table that will be easier to keep level across the surface.
3. It comes with Cut3d ($299 value)

There are a few others, but those are the highlights that I have taken advantage of.

As far as bits are concerned, I try to buy mine from mlcswoodworking.com. They are well priced and have a good selection. The only issue I have with them is it takes a while to get the bits in the mail. There are other places too, just depends on what kind of bit you need. Rockler has good bits too and every now and then they run a good sale on them.

Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Bob

Post by Bob »

When cutting all the way through a project to make the cut out, you don't want to cut into the machine's work table. The solution is to attach your 1/4" plywood to a board that you don't mind cutting into (a spoiler board). I use medium density fiber board, or other plywood scraps that can be used to back up what I'm cutting.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

fishinggp

Post by fishinggp »

Thank you. Ordering my Shark Pro Plus today!
Patty