Z axis problem

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

TomK

Z axis problem

Post by TomK »

Just received my new pro plus and have a problem with the Z axis which I hope someone can help me out with. I can run a program and at any given time the Z axis stops responding while x and y continue moving as they should. If I stop the program, I can jog X and y but not z. Z shows moving on the control panel and the control box lights up but no z movement until I shut everything down and start back up. I can reload the program and it runs perfect from beginning to end or it may do the same thing again.

I have contacted Nextwave and they were helpful and told me to send the controller back for replacement. I thought before I did that someone may have run into the same problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Z axis problem

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Tom,

Well, there's all the obvious things you've probably tried - like

1. Examining the pins on the z cable to ensure they all look the same and none are bent
2. Ensuring the cable is firmly plugged in and tightened at the control box
3. No dirt or debris in either the male or female side of the connection
4. No power cords, usb cord, etc laying on or near or intertwined with the xyz cables

From your description, once it is in this state - does it remain in that state - ie no z action? So if you load a "new" tap file, z still doesn't move?

If so, after getting to that point - I'd swap the z cable with the x or y cable. Let's say you pick x. In theory, you would see movement of the gantry in z (as you plugged it into the x plug on the control box) and no movement of the gantry in x (as you plugged it into the z plug on the control box).

If you now get no movement of the gantry in x, then that would seem to confirm that the control box is the culprit.

If however, you get movement of the gantry in x (plugged into z) and no movement of the gantry in z (plugged into x on the control box), then perhaps you have a cable issue to that stepper motor.

TomK

Re: Z axis problem

Post by TomK »

Joe,

Thank you for the help. I did try switching connectors as you suggested and it is definitely the controller. I shipped the controller to Nextwave today and they are already shipping out a new one. Jim Newman at Nextwave could not have been more helpful. Thanks again for the reply, I'll let you know what happens when the new controller arrives.

Tom