Gears, Gears, and more Gears

Share your Shark projects with other forum members!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Forum rules
Do not post any files that violate copyright or licensing guidelines. Any post violating this rule will be deleted and the member may be banned from future use of cncsharktalk.
lsvien

Gears, Gears, and more Gears

Post by lsvien »

I know this is rather basic stuff compared to what a lot of you folks post here on the forum. Toys for the impossibly cute grandchildren. I got the incentive to create this from looking at a cheap plastic toy of gears that my grandson had. I thought wood would be better and by making them removable and with a gear with a crank they can do different set ups. I tried the gearmaker gadget from the Vectric site but in the end I used the gear maker program at http://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html I liked the ability to add spokes, I think they have a nice visual movement when turned. Cut them out of baltic birch plywood.
Attachments
IMG_0824.jpg
IMG_0823.jpg
IMG_0825.jpg

GARYR6

Re: Gears, Gears, and more Gears

Post by GARYR6 »

Looks like fun.....Does itHAVE to go to the grand kids ???????
Nice work.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Great use for a Shark, lsvien! No need to downplay as "basic". I'd love to have the CRV file to cut a few myself. Any chance you could post it here? This is the "File Sharing" forum after all. :)

lsvien

Post by lsvien »

4dThinker you are correct as usual! I have often seen projects that I wanted to try only to have to ask or design the file. My apologies for not thinking of it and thank you for reminding me.

I ended up using the web site and output my design in to a jpg. Imported it into VCP and converted to vectors. For some reason the gear gadget doesn't seem to work for me. I keep getting an error.

Couple 3 different files for the gears. One plain with cut out spokes and two with different letters and numbers. The symbols I did in VCP with the standard tools. The spiral I used the spiral gadget and then sized. I also included a simple file I used to drill the holes for the axle pegs. They need to be pretty precise. Even with all my precautions it still took some tweaking of the gears. I would rotate them until I hit a spot of resistance and then take the gears off one by one until I could feel the change. File, rasp, and sandpaper the insides of the teeth until everything would rotate smoothly.

I started out using 2-sided carpet tape to hold them down on the spoil board but later went to tabs and screwed the baltic birch down on the spoil board. It's a lot of cutting pressure on the wood and the tape had mixed results.

To cut down on friction I picked up plastic washers from a big box store 1 1/2" dia. with a 1/4" hole in the middle. They slip over the axle pegs and with 1/4" dowels for the axles are tight enough they shouldn't come off too easily. Made a world of difference.

Plain acrylic paint for the numbers, letters, and symbols and then sanded off the excess. 3 coats of danish oil to finish.
Attachments
Gear2.crv
(3.91 MiB) Downloaded 854 times
Gears2 Names2.crv
(2.19 MiB) Downloaded 708 times
Gears2 Names.crv
(2.99 MiB) Downloaded 771 times

Wolffie1

Post by Wolffie1 »

Thank you for posting the files.
Cheers
Wolffie

drueth

Post by drueth »

lsvien

Great post I like it and think my grandson would also thanks for the grear idea.
drueth
Shark Pro Plus HD
new to CNC 12/2012