HD4 pendant Problems

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

SteveM

HD4 pendant Problems

Post by SteveM »

I just got the new HD4. Used it 1 time and the color pendant has gone dead and has to be re calibrated.
I called tech support and he told me to loosen the screws on the front of the pendant and put my finger on the center of the screen and turn the control box on. Then it takes you into calibrate mode.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Rockler tech support says this is a known issue with the new HD4

Steve

Ripper

Re: HD4 pendant Problems

Post by Ripper »

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on the HD4, but this pendant problem is making me think twice. I hope NWA is working on a solution or replacement.

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

From what I understand they are.
When I talked with tech support, they were very helpful an d talked me thru on getting it to work again.
The only problem is it has done it more than once, but now I know how to reset the pendant.
They also told me to use a eraser on a pencil or a stylus instead of using my fingers. They also said to not let the pendant get cold and I should disconnect it and bring it in the house when not in use.
They seem to know there is a problem with the devise.

The only problem is I bought the HD4 because I didn't have to hook up a pc to make everything work.

Ripper

Post by Ripper »

THe usb flash drive was a major selling point for me also. Now this cold pendant problem is a concern for me as I planned to set the HD4 up in my workshop where I only have a woodstove for heat. In a pinch, is it possible to remove the pendant from the unit and still use a laptop, connected to the controller, to run the HD4?

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

The pendant is connected to the control box by a cable. I just have to unhook it and bring it in the house so it stays warm.
When I am in the shop, I have a heater to keep myself warm. When I am done for the day, I don't heat the shop.
I don't think the cold hurts anything else. I don't think the control box is affected by cold as much as the pendant.
Because of my problems, I really haven't used the machine.
I was actually considering taking it back and buying the Axiom. Even though it's more money, it's also much more machine.
I have only had the HD4 for 2 weeks and haven't made anything yet.

Ripper

Post by Ripper »

I haven't heard of the Piranha's having this problem with the cold. I thought the pendants were identical to the Shark's. It looks like the HD4 only works under perfect environmental conditions.

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I really don't think that is the problem. With computers if it stays cold I think the circuit boards like it.
It may be the pendant for the HD4 is different in some way, but I don't know for sure.
I am very new to cnc and have just started to work with the machine.
As time goes on, I will learn more and more.

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

For the purpose of full disclosure, I am not an electrical engineer, but I would for warn you of a potential issue related to a cold then suddenly warm environment to which you are subjecting the CNC to. While it is true computers main CPU enjoy a cold working environment, these conditions are met when over clocking a CPU utilizing equipment that takes the environment out the the equation. That is extremely important for one reason. Condensate. Think of pouring a cold one on a hot summer day into a glass. The beads of water on the outside of that glass are condensation caused by the environment. That is extremely harmful to electronic equipment. This is something I learned as a former commercial HVAC tech and advisor. Although we are talking about the reverse temperature scenario, the results could potentially be the same. I'm by no means saying this is a smoking gun, but for the investment it's better to be safe than sorry. If the pendant itself is LCD, that themselves do not like cold for other reasons. Just my experience, and as always, yours may vary :)
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I guess I didn't really explain things properly.
The pendant was acting up with a garage temp at just over 60 degrees. In fact I actually had my garage door open because it was so nice outside.
I understand it's not good to get condensation on electrical equipment, but with a temp that high, there shouldn't be a problem.
When it starts getting cold I keep the garage about 50 degrees and then turn up the heat so I am comfortable.
That shouldn't cause any electrical problems.

I sell cars for a living and many have a 8" LCD screen in them. Consider a car sitting outside in the middle of winter and being constantly heated up and then cooling down. There are no LCD problems in the cold with those screens.
I don't think the pendant isn't working because it's cold. I think the actual screen inside the plastic case has the problem. The tech told me to loosen the screws because he said some of the pendant LCD screens are somehow being pinched inside the plastic case and when you start up the control box, the screen goes into calibrate mode. So something is pushing on the screen, possibly from the inside to cause that to happen.
Like I said earlier, they know there is a problem and they will eventually get it fixed. It may be a supplier quality control problem. I am sure Next Wavve doesn't test every pendant before they package everything up.

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Since I talked with tech support and they worked with me to reset the pendant, I have run 2 projects with the machine, without any problems.
Now I am waiting for my dust boot to get here so I can get to work. These machines throw dust all over the shop.
Tech support was very helpful with my problem and told me to let them know if the pendant acts up again and they will send me out a new one so I am not down for very long.
:D :D
Steve