3d software other than vectric?

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

joethegasman

3d software other than vectric?

Post by joethegasman »

Is there an online alternative for generating the *.tap (g-code) file tho run on the piranha?

Perhaps in the realm of "free download" ?
I would hate to think that the shark line is a proprietary machine that will only run with vectric products.

It might even be a deal breaker with this unit goin to a new home and my going into the open source cnc universe.

thanks in advance.

JTGM

Danwood

Re: 3d software other than vectric?

Post by Danwood »

Please understand that Gcode is Gcode is Gcode. Gcode is the basis of a large majority of the CNC programs. It so happens that Aspire from Vectric is a very popular well written Program with tutorials that know no equal in the industry. Also Vectric supports their software forever. There is no time limit or charge for support.
What you are really speaking of when you mention a tap file is the post processor. In this case it is post processor by the title of {CNCShark-usb Arcs(inch) (*.tap)}
Any program that writes Gcode files and has the above noted post processor will support your CNC Shark machine.
Its as simple as that.
Good Luck Dan

joethegasman

Re: 3d software other than vectric?

Post by joethegasman »

I like simple, easy for my propane addled mind to understand. :)

My basis for such a question is that as I have gotten into this realm of my woodworking hobby, I naturally have been trolling about on the web and come across different manufacturers and wonder if I made the right decision.
So i post questions and answers like yours help bring me back to center.

thanks,

JTGM