CNC Problem

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Jeff Krogman

CNC Problem

Post by Jeff Krogman »

Looking for any and all ideas for problem I am having.
problem: I've designed a project, I have all tool paths needed to finish project.
I start the tool path and somewhere in machine doing a tool path, the tool paths
just stop. There is no set line in tool path where it stops it just stops.
It does not do it all the time.

I am going to replace SD card and USB cord. I have computer look at, no problem there.

has any one else experienced this behavior?

Thanks
Jeff

Dan S

Re: CNC Problem

Post by Dan S »

Hi Jeff,
I have had new issue pop up with my shark pro sightly different, in that after loading the G-code and I click on (run file) then next pop up is (turn on router) and when I click on it about 50% of the time the program will run but everything is greyed out and I only have E-Stop to click and start over. Carving out the manager scene (2 hours long) it greyed out after 42% of file had completed, it did keep on carving but I could no longer see the running code on the screen only E-stop was visual, so I let it run and it completed the program. I have called the New Wave help center and they suggested I use a wired mouse and not wireless and to try a different USB port, when I asked about maybe using a different card they did not think cards on the market would be a good option. Tonight I ran the same program that carves the manger scene for some gifts and it was OK no problems at all. All this has started since downloading the new Shark Control Panel, I did register the unit and like the new Jog panel, but still would like to figure out the greying out the pause control sometimes after run command.

Dan

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

The first thing I'd check is the power management settings on your computer. Be sure that they are set to 'always on' or 'never off'. Even newer desktops with Win7 are now coming out of the box with power management settings that are not appropriate for use while running a job.

You should also disable the screen saver if you haven't already.

I'd be interested in knowing if you already have done these steps and still are seeing this problem.

It does seem that there is a possibility of the 'graying' out in circumstances that were not seen by the beta testers and NWA developer before this latest Control Panel was released. An updated version is being tested that may resolve the graying out part for you (and the rest of us). The problem Jeff is experiencing smacks of being the result of power management and/or screen saver - but can't say with authority from a distance.

I am a little cautious to just go ahead and replace the SD card. One thing that I have seen on the forum is that the the condition you describe can be the result of the SD card not being seated well. You may have to power down the control box and remove the cover, then pull it out and reinsert it to ensure it is fully seated. I'd do this before swapping out the usb cable.

Trying a different USB port is a reasonable recommendation as hardware controllers do handle the same type of ports differently in some cases.

Dan S

Post by Dan S »

Thanks for the update on the new panel, I understand that the graying out is a problem to others beside myself and I'm sure they will find a solution to the issue. I did find better results by changing the port on the computer and only gray out maybe 1 in 10 .

Jeff Krogman

Post by Jeff Krogman »

I went thru all power settings on laptop. All are set to never turn off. They been set that way since I first got CNC Shark acouple of years ago.
I have a routine I use when doing projects.
1) After each use I vaccum table,around table and both 'boxes'.
2) After 12 hours of using I blow out both boxes and check connections.
3) Each month I open up both boxes and blow out, vaccum and check internal connections.

After your suggestion on SD card, I opened up box and removed SD card check all points of contact and re-inserted.
I ran machine for 6.5 hrs and there was no problem. Did it resove issue, do not know but time will tell.
After reading the replies I received, I did not have this problem prior to download af Aspire 3.5.

I will monitor running and see if problem rears it's ugly head.

Thanks to all for input.
Jeff

Larry Stobbs

Post by Larry Stobbs »

I just had this happen tonight, I have been using my shark for over three years and never had it gray out. 2/3 way through a tool path and it just stopped at a certain line. Could not get it to do anything at all. Ended up having to shut the computer down and restarting it which made the controller work again, but the controls acted sluggish. shut down the controller and restarted that again and now everything runs fine. Only problem was there is no way to go to a specific line (which is were it had stopped) and start the program new from that line. The project is in the trash and will have to start over tommorow. By the way I had not downloaded the newere controller due to people complaining about the grey out.

Any one have an idea of why this happened, especially after three years?

fixtureman

Post by fixtureman »

I know on my cnc that you should connect a 2.0 hub to your computer and plug the cnc into it. That forces the usb connection to run faster with less comm errors.