cribbage hole program?

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

tmerrill

Re: cribbage hole program?

Post by tmerrill »

I decided to give this a go and discovered a few things along the way.

The holes were created by drawing 3 in a vertical line with the spacing wanted, then used the Copy Along Vectors tool with settings shown in the picture below. I had the most success using the Distance Between Copies option and this took some trial and error. You would be encouraged to spend more time with the other options, I didn't want to...

I think this approach using a single vector is much easier than trying to work with three separate vectors. If you look at some of the other layers, you will see how I choose to create the single open vector.

I wasn't sure what you wanted the final two sided board to look like, so the total layout I used may be way off base. But I found it hard to create one side and copy/position it to make both sides like as smooth and integrated as this is with the single vector design.

Instead of deleting the unwanted holes, I simply moved them to another layer. This way you could always move them back, especially the holes at either end for whatever peg out design you want.

Good luck,
Tim
Attachments
Cribbage board.JPG
YIN YANG1 modified.crv
(601 KiB) Downloaded 327 times

Bob

Post by Bob »

Kruizer
There are many ways to do this.
1.Using the same method I described my previous post, first draw the hole pattern that you want. In this case a block of holes 3 wide by 5 high. Then group this selected block of holes using the group tool.
2.place this group onto the vector you want to follow in your drawing.
3.Follow the steps outlined in my previous post. Only select 11 copies.
4.It should look like this:
yin.jpg
5.If you need to change anything, re-draw or se-size the original hole spacing in step 1.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Bob

Post by Bob »

Like I said...lots of different ways.
Thanks Tim
Bob
"Focus"

kruizer

Post by kruizer »

Bob wrote:Kruizer
There are many ways to do this.
1.Using the same method I described my previous post, first draw the hole pattern that you want. In this case a block of holes 3 wide by 5 high. Then group this selected block of holes using the group tool.
2.place this group onto the vector you want to follow in your drawing.
3.Follow the steps outlined in my previous post. Only select 11 copies.
4.It should look like this:
yin.jpg
5.If you need to change anything, re-draw or se-size the original hole spacing in step 1.
Bob
Bob,
I got the hole group created but I am clueless as to how to put it on the chosen vector. HELP!
kruizer

Bob

Post by Bob »

Kruizer
Before I get into any further details about what I've described, Have you checked out Tim's answer above?
It's a really neat solution.
Bob
"Focus"

tmerrill

Post by tmerrill »

I seem to recall an old post on the Vectric forum where someone used a similar technique to follow a snake or dragon shape so I'm not out for any credit. I was just sitting here this morning waiting for some storms to clear out before I ran my machine and decided to have some fun.

Tim

Bob

Post by Bob »

Tim,
Still a nice adaptation to solve this problem. I'll be sure to use parts, or all of it in the future.
Thanks,
Bob
"Focus"

kruizer

Post by kruizer »

Bob wrote:Kruizer
Before I get into any further details about what I've described, Have you checked out Tim's answer above?
It's a really neat solution.
Bob
Bob,
Yes, I did and it is one I am going to work with in another version but I need to complete this one first if for nothing more than to become more familiar with the Vcarve software. I am a total newbie in this genre and would like to become as proficient as possible.
kruizer

Bob

Post by Bob »

Bob,
I got the hole group created but I am clueless as to how to put it on the chosen vector. HELP!
kruizer[/quote]

Kruizer,
This may sound kind of simple, but click on the group you want to duplicate then hold down shift and select the vector you want it to be copied along. (You're only going tp need to select one of your three vector lines. I would suggest the middle one.)
Then release the shift key and select the "duplicate along vector" tool. (You could also select the "duplitate along vector" tool first, then select the group and vector.)
Once that's done, are you clear on how to duplicate along the chosen vector?
Bob
"Focus"

kruizer

Post by kruizer »

Bob wrote:Bob,
kruizer

Kruizer,
This may sound kind of simple, but click on the group you want to duplicate then hold down shift and select the vector you want it to be copied along. (You're only going tp need to select one of your three vector lines. I would suggest the middle one.)
Then release the shift key and select the "duplicate along vector" tool. (You could also select the "duplitate along vector" tool first, then select the group and vector.)
Once that's done, are you clear on how to duplicate along the chosen vector?
Bob[/quote]

Bob,
OK, I got that done but ther is a question. If I wanted the hole groups to follow the vector contour, how would that be done? Right now they are duplicated along the vector but the hole group retains a rectangle shape.
kruizer