cribbage hole program?

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Bob

Re: cribbage hole program?

Post by Bob »

Kruizer,
Is this close to what you're looking for:
yang.jpg
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Bob

Post by Bob »

tmerrill wrote:I decided to give this a go and discovered a few things along the way.

The holes were created by drawing 3 in a vertical line with the spacing wanted, then used the Copy Along Vectors tool with settings shown in the picture below. I had the most success using the Distance Between Copies option and this took some trial and error. You would be encouraged to spend more time with the other options, I didn't want to...

I think this approach using a single vector is much easier than trying to work with three separate vectors. If you look at some of the other layers, you will see how I choose to create the single open vector.

I wasn't sure what you wanted the final two sided board to look like, so the total layout I used may be way off base. But I found it hard to create one side and copy/position it to make both sides like as smooth and integrated as this is with the single vector design.

Instead of deleting the unwanted holes, I simply moved them to another layer. This way you could always move them back, especially the holes at either end for whatever peg out design you want.

Good luck,
Tim
Tim,
I tried the method you described and like it:
yin yang.jpg
It's much easier than copying one hole at a time.
I prefer to force even spacing and let the program do all the work.
I also specified 11 extra copies of the three hole group so that I could eliminate overlapping areas at the beginning and end of the vector.
I suppose I could have clipped a little off each end of the vector and gotten the same result.
Bob
"Focus"

PeteD

Post by PeteD »

Much easier to design thin in a program such as autocad then import the dwg file. Vcarve is not the easiest to design in. Pete

tmerrill

Post by tmerrill »

Bob,

That looks great, better than my effort. It should help give people an option, especially for abstract designs such as this.

Thanks for posting.

Tim

kruizer

Post by kruizer »

Bob wrote:Kruizer,
Is this close to what you're looking for:
yang.jpg
Bob
Bob,
Yes. The groups take on the curve of the vector they are aligned with.
kruizer

Bob

Post by Bob »

Kruizer,
OK, next step.
What step are you on, and what step would you like to learn next?
(I realize it would be easiest to just post the complete crv file for you. However, when you learn to duplicate along a vector, it will make the job easier with your next project.)
Tim, be sure to jump in too with answers.
Thanks,
Bob
"Focus"

kruizer

Post by kruizer »

OK, next step.
What step are you on, and what step would you like to learn next?
(I realize it would be easiest to just post the complete crv file for you. However, when you learn to duplicate along a vector, it will make the job easier with your next project.)
Tim, be sure to jump in too with answers.
Thanks,
Bob
Bob,
I have got the grouped holes laid out along the selected vector but they are still in a rectangular form and I would like them to fit the curve of the vector so it looks smooth instead of choppy.
kruizer

Bob

Post by Bob »

Kruizer,
OK, back up a few steps and start with what Tim did...Make a group of only three holes. Also, arrange the group of three holes vertically. The group will align itself properly as it is copied along the vector.
I tried this method and it works slick for following the contour. Instead of a big rectangular group, you are using a smaller group. Copy the group of three along the vector. Play with the number of copies. I think I used about 70-75 for your half of the design. Then delete the groups where you want spaces along the vector.
You may need to back up and re-adjust the number of copies to get the look you want.

...Next question.

Bob
"Focus"

kruizer

Post by kruizer »

OK, back up a few steps and start with what Tim did...Make a group of only three holes. Also, arrange the group of three holes vertically. The group will align itself properly as it is copied along the vector.
I tried this method and it works slick for following the contour. Instead of a big rectangular group, you are using a smaller group. Copy the group of three along the vector. Play with the number of copies. I think I used about 70-75 for your half of the design. Then delete the groups where you want spaces along the vector.
You may need to back up and re-adjust the number of copies to get the look you want.

...Next question.

Bob
Bob,
That makes a lot of sense. Why didn't I think of that. I will let you know how it comes out.
kruizer

kruizer

Post by kruizer »

Bob and Tim,
I want to thank both of you for your help. I am attaching the bitmap of this for you to look at. I am pleased with the look of it.
kruizer
Attachments
yin yang 1.bmp