Control Panel install

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

HappyJackP38

Control Panel install

Post by HappyJackP38 »

I am new to CNC and do not always understand how CNC always works, mechanical ok, software not so much.
Problem: What do I do next:
I have the standard Shark, I have assembled the machine, made all the connections, updated the computer, went to the Next Wave download and got the 2 newest programs,
veredist _x86.exe program and the CNC Shark controller download (#15) and using the new install manual as directed I updated the firmware, installed the x86 program first, then the CNC control panel
I also got past the USB cable problem. Now in the control panel I went to the jog tab and can move the carving head through all ( X, Y, Z) movements and (+/-). Using the manual page 8 step3: Load G code
"in the lower left corner" of the control panel, I get the message (please load file) Question, what file, from where, how do I move the file ?
Will someone please explain or walk me through the G code thing, so I can try and get through Steps #4 and #5.
I thank it is going to be a long winter.

Jack

peg_legs

Re: Control Panel install

Post by peg_legs »

I think what you are talking about is that you are ready to run a program and have your Shark "do it's thing".
If this is correct, then the program the control panel wants is the .tap file you would have saved in your design software.

If you haven't saved that file, go bacl to your design software (like VCarve Pro) and insure you are happy with your design
then save it as a .tap. Your controler will be looking for a .tap file to load (converts it to a gcode that the Shark needs).

I would hope you will have your mouse curser on the "E Stop" on the control panel if this is the first time you run a program with a bit in the router!

I still "screw up" and follow my own recomendation! I am ready to stop the operation every time I run a program! Too bad the Shark can't see the human
errors ahead of time...

Hope I helped some.
mike
(peg_legs)

GARYR6

Post by GARYR6 »

Yes,
it could be a long Winter...... but that's because you will be running countless project on your SHARK.
It all seems a little daunting at first but oh so much fun when you get it all together. Stay with it, ask questions and then ask again. Here and on the vector.com sight where all design things are deal with.
Soon your friends will be amazed, your wife and family will wonder where you have gone, and you will be pondering new additional toys to add to your CNC.
It is a great hobby, one you will excel at I am sure.
We will expect in return for our wisdom (well advice anyway), pictures of the amazing things you have designed and carved .

Bob T

Post by Bob T »

Hi to everyone. My first post on the forum. I have had my Shark Pro for over a year--love it . I was trying to update my control panes software from the Next Wave download site. Well I guess I did something very wrong because I no longer can access my control panel software on my computer. How can I reload my control panel software so that I can continue my projects? Thanks, Bob T

New Edit-- I just read a post that may explain why I lost my CP software.. I think the update I was trying to download was for the Shark Pro Plus which I do not have.. Anyway I still need to reload. I hope this will help prevent anyone else from making this same mistake.

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

I assume you have XP and were running the 1.0 Version. The new control panel is loaded in a differnt place if you click on your old icon it will not work. You need to goto the start menu, Programs, CncSharkBasicPanel and run it from there.

Bob T

Post by Bob T »

Hi Tim, When I try to open the CP software from the programs option I get the message "winusb.dll" is missing and that re-installing may solve the problem. Hope this helps, BobT

HappyJackP38

Post by HappyJackP38 »

To All

Still do not have a good answer to fixing the g code problem, but for some help to the Control Panel, before installing anything new, go to computer control panel, and remove or un install the old verison of Shark
control panel, then go back to the Next Wave download box and get both the new or newer x86.exe and new control panel download (#15) and install both, this will also get past the usb problem and should get you pass the missing dll file. After that follow the steps on the yellow brick road. Some where out there someone can help me get past the G code problem.

Jack

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Hi Jack - I'm not sure I understand the problem you are having but here's an answer to what I think your question is.

When you create a design in VCarve Pro you will need to create a set of instructions that the Shark can use. These are called Toolpaths. The instructions contained in the toolpaths are called GCode.

When you save a toolpath from VCarve it will create a file with an "tap" extension on it. When you save toolpaths, keep track of where you save them on your computer so you can find them later. A project could have just one toolpath or many toolpaths.

If you use the same computer for VCarve and to run the shark then go to AAA below.

If you use one computer for VCarve and a different computer for the shark then you need to move your toolpaths to the computer that runs the shark. Use whatever method you want to move the toolpaths (*.tap files) to the shark computer. Keep track of where you put them on the shark computer.

AAA - Start the control panel and load the *.tap file you want to run.

Hope this helps. If not, just ask again.

Ed

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

One of the issues we have seen that is confusing to people that are new to computers is a folder with the same name is not in the same location. For instance people goto the "Vcarve5.5\Samples" folder under Vcarve create a tool path then save it there. Then they open the CNCShark Control Panel and when it is first run it will default to the "CNCShark\Samples" folder. People see the samples folder name and assume they are in the same folder which they are not and as a result cant find there tool path file.

groovy318

Re: Control box wireing

Post by groovy318 »

i am setting up my new hd machine and when i conected the wires to the box i conected the X Y Z and the usb cable to computer and router plug and power to box and still have another plug i dont know its for i do not have anymore cables that came with it can anyone tell me what is for
if you are loking at the back of the box it the first plug i do not know what it is for
any help would be apreacaped thanks.