Problems with Off Set

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Jeff Krogman

Problems with Off Set

Post by Jeff Krogman »

This a first,I am trying to do a 1/2" off-set outward on a project. All vectors are group together wuth no open vectors.
When doing offset half go outward and half go inward. I am totally baffled. I have been thru design numerous times looking for problem,nothing found.
Any suggestions? Ideas? Hints?

I have attached the file.
Thanks!
Attachments
final diving helmet.crv3d
(22.5 KiB) Downloaded 314 times

Phil B

Re: Problems with Off Set

Post by Phil B »

Your lines are not joined. Select all the lines, use the tool that looks like a loop with 5 yellow dots on it, then do your offset.

With the join vectors tool you might have to play with the "tolerance" value to get it to work on your specific vectors.

PMB
http://benchmark.20m.com

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

That's what I saw also. I joined the vectors to make 1 vector when joined and played with the tolerance to make 1 closed vector and it performed the offset for me. Also not knowing what the design is or is intended to be used for, I don't want to be critical, but you realize that it is not symmetrical don't you? If you wanted it to, you could cut it in half and then mirror it to form the opposing side and make it symmetrical. Like I say I don't want to criticize because I know nothing about it, but it looks like it should be symmetrical.

Roger
Attachments
final diving helmet~rev a.crv3d
(41 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

tmerrill

Post by tmerrill »

Jeff,

If you just join nodes, the ones at the 9 o'clock position overlap a bit and you may need to adjust them manually first. Plus, the shape is made up of a variety of different type lines and if you go on to use the offset tool that is only going to get worst. After the vectors are joined, I would recommend using the Fit Curves to Selected Vectors tool and convert all to Arcs.

I see you are setting this up in Aspire. If the vector shape is intended for 2D toolpaths only, it should work OK for you at this point. However, if you will be using this to create a 3D shape, either with the Create Shape tool or 2 rail sweep, the vectors are going to create a problem for you because the left and right sides have a different number of nodes. In this case, here is what I would recommend:

Draw a vertical line in the middle of the shape and use the trim tool to save just one side. Use node editing to clean up this side and minimize the number of nodes. Typically the best results will be obtained when you have the nodes selected to Smooth. When you are happy with that side, mirror it to create the other side and then either join the vectors (if using the Create Shape tool) or leave them open for the 2 rail sweep.

Tim

Jeff Krogman

Post by Jeff Krogman »

Thanks to all! I value your fed back. Still learning but inproving.
Thanks again!