Is there a limit to the number of steps for the shark pro?

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

MovieGuy

Is there a limit to the number of steps for the shark pro?

Post by MovieGuy »

I've been trying to make lithophanes on my shark pro, but am having problems. I'm using PhotoVCarve, and if I run a "roughing" program with an 1/8" ball end mill, it works great.
But when I run a program where I'm using a 1/16" or less ball end mill (less step over, with a lot more machine steps) it gets part way through the program and just stops. I've tried a couple of different pictures and different settings, but it gets to around 53,000 steps (13+ hours running) out of around 150,000 steps (42 hours running) and just stops on a step and I can't get it to go again without having to use the E-stop. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting I'm missing? Is there a limit on time or steps for the shark pro?
Thanks for any help.

Andy

Tim Owens

Re: Is there a limit to the number of steps for the shark pr

Post by Tim Owens »

The shark uses about 1 meg a min to machine something on average. So a 1 gig SD Card would be about 18 hours max. Since it is dying on 13hours I would suggest you check that out. Also I would recommend you you look at changing the paramaters so you are not running that long. I have done one with a 1/8 inch bit at about 3+ hours if I ran 1/16 I would expect about a quad of the time 12-13 hours. This was a 8x8 board

Tim

MovieGuy

Re: Is there a limit to the number of steps for the shark pr

Post by MovieGuy »

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot about the limit on the card. I was just using close to the parameters I saw on the Vectric training videos. On wood I don't worry as much running a higher feed rate, but I was afraid of too high a feed rate machining the Corian. I'll try adjusting them to fit. Thanks again for your help, and I love your machine and the support you give us!

Andy