Aspire 3.5 Toolpath Issue

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

EdThorne

Aspire 3.5 Toolpath Issue

Post by EdThorne »

Here is an example of a tool path issue that I sometimes encounter. Sometimes I can just slightly move an item that is involved and the problem goes away. This didn't work in this case.

Please look at the preview for “Combined Sockets not working.” You will notice what I refer to as an “exploding” toolpath. This is also shown in the attached JPEG files.

There are no open vectors or duplicate vectors. I can make this work by creating two toolpaths, “Sockets1 0.125in EM” and “Sockets1 0.125in EM.” This seems to indicate to me that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the actual vectors.

Anyone know why this happens?
Attachments
Not Working "Exploded" Toolpath
Not Working "Exploded" Toolpath
This approach works
This approach works
Tool Path Issue.crv3d
Actual Aspire File
(655 KiB) Downloaded 272 times

tmerrill

Re: Aspire 3.5 Toolpath Issue

Post by tmerrill »

There is no problem in Aspire. When you try to toolpath multiple closed shapes that cross over each other, the program simply can't figure out what boundaries it should be using. You can either alternate the shapes like you did and then combine the toolpaths into one when you save it or select all the shapes and use the "Weld Selected Vectors" tool to create one closed shape.

You may also want to spend some more time creating better shapes - right now the design is not symmetrical and it you are trying to do what I think you are, there will be gaps.

Tim

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

tmerrill wrote:There is no problem in Aspire. When you try to toolpath multiple closed shapes that cross over each other, the program simply can't figure out what boundaries it should be using. You can either alternate the shapes like you did and then combine the toolpaths into one when you save it or select all the shapes and use the "Weld Selected Vectors" tool to create one closed shape.

Tim
Thank you, Tim. That explains why sometimes giving the offending part a little nudge works. Now I know why this happens and what to avoid. Thank you! It shows up in the preview so one may easily fix it. Does this work the same in VCP?

Regards,
Ed

tmerrill

Post by tmerrill »

Yes, VCP would be the same.

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Hi Tim,

I went back to review my symmetry and you are correct. It isn't very good. I will use grid lines and snap in the future and that may help improve my poor technique. I like your idea of welding the vectors. That will prevent all such issues in the future.

I am assuming that my lack of symmetry did not help to create this issue, rather this issue was caused solely by vector overlap.

Anyway, I looked at some of your posted artwork and your work is fantastic. I've had my CNC just over a month so I have lots to learn.

Regards,
Ed