Issue with SCP 2.1 rel 003

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

KevinO

Re: Issue with SCP 2.1 rel 003

Post by KevinO »

Ed,
Just to close this out, I verified that using V2.1 with virtual turned on, starting to run at 0,0,0 instead of 0,0,0.010 did not eliminate the 0.010 too deep cut on every pass.
I reinstalled V2.01 Release 001 and now everything is back to working as it should; that is, depths of cuts match the commanded depth from the Gcode, and I can start at any height and it does not affect the depth of cut, with or without virtual turned on.
I guess we wait until NWA fixes the issues with V2.1
Regards,
Kevin

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Thank you, Kevin. Looks like I'm reverting to 2.01 if I even still have it around. I know that I have 2.05. I'll check that out, too.

Joseph Poirier

v2.1 Build15 fixes

Post by Joseph Poirier »

The display has properly displays objects whether they are in inches or millimeters since 2.1 Build 14, whether or not there are curves from GCode (i j).

Conversions inches to millimeters for all areas are continually being reviewed... view of [File Preferences] [Virtual] only shows points in millimeter format at this time.

A patch to the parser and Virtual for build 15 corrected an issue where the control panel was failing to properly read GCode when the postprocessor was returning G1 instead of G01.

Detect Touchplate process received the internal offset that was previously used in the Virtual and AAxis processes. It was removed from Virtual and AAxis.

This is the best release of any CNC control panel software to date... simple, reliable, repeatable behavior.
Last edited by Joseph Poirier on Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joseph Poirier

Post by Joseph Poirier »

Hi all,
seems there may be a driver issue leaving the bit above zero on the touchoff.

v2.1 [Build 15] I have moved the internal adjustment into process that sets the position during [Detect Touchplate].

Please run a [Detect touchplate] test with a piece of scrap and under your touchplate and a junk bit, adjusting the [Preferences] [General] [Touchplate Thickness] to get the detect touchplate exactly where you want it for every tapoff, before running Virtual Zero.

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Joseph Poirier wrote:Hi all,
seems there may be a driver issue leaving the bit above zero on the touchoff.

v2.1 [Build 15] I have moved the internal adjustment into process that sets the position during [Detect Touchplate].

Please run a [Detect touchplate] test with a piece of scrap and under your touchplate and a junk bit, adjusting the [Preferences] [General] [Touchplate Thickness] to get the detect touchplate exactly where you want it for every tapoff, before running Virtual Zero.
Hi Joe,
I am not sure that I understand the issue. I am using V2.1 Build 15. I ran a test that just cuts a 2" square to 0.020" using a 1/4" EM. My touchplate measures 0.378" so I entered that value into the preferences. I pressed the "Detect Touch Plate" button and that worked as expected. I ran the file and my actual depth that I measured is 0.040". So, I reset the thickness of the Touchplate in preferences to 0.358". I pressed the "Detect Touch Plate" button and that worked but the "Run File" button was grayed-out. I had to reload the G-code file, "Detect Touch Plate", and then run the file. This produced a depth of 0.020".

Is this the sequence of events that you are describing or there another issue that I missed?

Best regards,
Ed

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Hi Joe,
I did another test after setting the thickness to 0.358" [instead of the actual thickness of 0.378"]. I performed the touch plate detection to zero the z-axis. I then removed the touchplate and pressed the move to 0,0,0 button, The bit lowered to stop exactly at the surface of the material. It looks like the 0.020" correction to the thickness of the touchplate works like I would expect. I can't say that I understand why I need the 0.020" correction.
Best regards,
Ed

Mimbler

Post by Mimbler »

Ed, that is interesting. With my piranha, I need to put in a .024 correction to touch plate thickness as well. Works fine then. Unfortunately, the piranha forgets the correction every time it is turned off, but that isn't a biggy. NWA has a fix for that in their next update,
Mike

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Hi Mike,

I wonder why it is necessary? I agree, it isn't that big a deal unless it impacts us in some other unknown way. I'll have to check each version update to see if it gets corrected. I haven't had enough time to comprehensively test build 15. Many problems have certainly been fixed in this version. Thank you, Joe.

Ed

Mimbler

Post by Mimbler »

Hi Ed,
I'm a retired mechanical engineer, so my first thought was like yours, Why is it doing that? The only answer I came up with is that I'm always impressed when software works at all! Anyway, I'm pretty impressed with the support we get from NWA, and my little machine is making useful parts for my current guitar build as we speak!
Mike

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

Hey fellas,

There is definitely something going on related to the touch plate, preferences and who knows really what else. Rather than re-type it all here's the link to what I posted. This so repeatable and I may caution potentially a problem that it could result in a broken bit or some other damage in my view. I've mic'd my touch plate and have a safe distance specified. If the control software is overwriting these values without warning what else is it doing. I've PM'd Joseph but haven't heard anything. I'm also quite frankly confused with the versioning - with changes being made and NO incrementation of the version number how do we know where we're at. Especially when proclamations are made that this release, that is the same version number that has been released many times is proclaimed to be the most solid ever. That is, until several users start posting about bugs and such!

I'd like to see proper versioning to start with (easy fix) and some relevant communications from NWA - that is, if they want to randomly have various users test it then at least provide some feedback or get a closed group and tackle these problems and then release it.

FWIW
Last edited by monitoringpost on Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.