When the computer hibernates

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Ryan

When the computer hibernates

Post by Ryan »

Hello,

My question is in regards to the Shark Control Panel. I was just in the middle of a fairly long carving when I accidentally hit the hibernate button on my computer while vacuuming up the PVC dust. The Router stopped carving immediately (not sure if any of you have had this happen). Is there a way to restart the carving from that point? Or did I just lose all of that carving and have to start over again? I've also experienced this when the computer would just go into sleep mode (which I have learned to disable). Hopefully there is a very easy solution that I'm just not aware of.

Thanks,
Ryan

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: When the computer hibernates

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Ryan,

I don't have any direct experience with this, but a couple of thoughts -

1. Bring it out of hibernation and see if it starts from where it left off. Be ready to hit estop.

2. Assuming no restart - look and see where the shark thinks it is in x, y and z. Hopefully it has retained the last position. Also look at the panel and see what line in the tap file it is currently on. If it shows what line it is, write down the line in its entirety, you may need to use this as a search string to find it in the file.

2a. Jog the tool in positive z, then select move to 0,0,0. If this all lines up, then the rest of this idea should work for you pretty well.

2b. If the panel showed what line the shark was on when hibernation started - open the tap file in a text editing application. Notepad/wordpad/word - all would work except they do not provide an option to view the line numbers. I use an application called TextPad for handling text files for other tasks - http://www.textpad.com. You don't need to buy this, however you can download it for free to evaluate. To open the tap file, you may have to type in *.tap in the open file gui in order for the text editor you are using to look for that (most apps look for things they know by default - like .txt, .doc, etc). If you're using something that can show the line number, navigate to that line (or use what you wrote down to search for it - if searching, see if there is more than one instance just in case).

2c. If it all makes sense, you could delete all but lines 1-8 of the file above the line it stopped on. You may want to actually delete starting with a few lines above where it left off.

2d. Once you've done the delete, in essence you have the remainder of the instruction file/job. I'd save this with a new name - be sure to name it with the extension - myfile.tap - and it should be written that way. You can double check this in your file browser, and if it did get a .txt extension, just edit that. If you used word and it ended up with a .doc extension, you need to use the file save as command, save it as a text file, and then manually change the extension in your file browser from .txt to .tap (saving it as a word doc will add stuff to the document that are not cnc commands and this won't work).

2e. I've never done this myself - one last thought is to add a feed rate command after the cutter moves to the first point I'm starting at. I think you also have to rename the tool movement line to G00 (for the first point / the start point). If you are using a feed rate of 30 for example (remember, you didn't delete the first 8 lines) - after doing 2b and 2c above, I have
tap file before final edit.png
tap file before final edit
(5.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I copied line 9 - the place I chose to resume cutting and pasted it after line 8. I renamed it G00 and also changed the z to 0.2000 (this enables the tool to start at 0,0,0, raise up and move quickly to this start point).

I inserted a line 10 (carriage return) and added the value of F30.0 (I changed the feed rate to 30).

I edited the what is now line 11 and changed it from G01 to G1 (this seems to be a convention of sorts - the first cut point is named G1).

The final file looks like this
tap file afte final edit.png
tap file after final edit
(8.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Ralph may have some additional comment on this as he has more experience manipulating g-code files.

3. Assuming you haven't lost a correct machine location and you can get back to the same 0,0,0 - you could just start it from the original file and let it cut air up until the point it hibernated.

Consultingwoodworker

Re: When the computer hibernates

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

Thanks for the vote of confidence Joe!

Joe's method should work, provided that when you return from hibernation, Provided the zero point has not changed

On restarting the control panel, the current position may revert to zero, which would screw everything up, but theoretically it can be done if the zero point does not reset.

Ralph