Dedicated laptop for controller

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Hitch

Dedicated laptop for controller

Post by Hitch »

Hi aIl, just got my new toy Shark Pro Plus and I'm having a little trouble getting to the point of making saw dust. I have a laptop with a 64 bit version of Windows XP and .NET 4.0, from my experience software is not necessarily downwards compatible. I attended a demo in the Rockler store in Phoenix and a small laptop was used to run the Shark. My question, before I go out and buy a netbook (without DVD player) do I then only need to have the "vredist" and the "panel" .exe files installed. The netbook comes with Windows 7, so the .net problem should be eliminated. My other laptop with stay out of the workshop and a usb stick will transfer the gcode to the netbook. I don't have a long enough cable to update the firmware, that can wait until I get home. Stay warm everyone.

Consultingwoodworker

Re: Dedicated laptop for controller

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

I've used a net book to run my Shark, but it needs to have enough power/memory to run the VCarve software too. Believe me when I tell you that not being able to make quick program changes right at the machine will get old VERY fast.

I got an email from Toshiba this morning with laptops for under $400.00

Ralph

Hitch

Post by Hitch »

I've been reading some of the other postings on this forum. Sounds like the controller is not compatible with a 64 bit .exe file or the 64-bit laptop will not run a 32-bit .exe file or both. Good advice about Vcarve. You can't buy a XP 32 or 64 bit OS anymore, so it's Windows 7, but that is 64-bit as well. So, which laptop works and what is the version of Windows 7, which service packs and other updates that are required?

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Hitch and Ralph,

I've been watching, and trying to help in some, all of the threads on the Win 7 laptops.

My opinion is that the current version of the Shark Basic Panel - 1.4.0.17 (11/26/10) - has a fundamental flaw in dealing with 64bit Win 7 - for sure on a laptop. I believe there is a post from a Win 7 64 bit desktop user reporting no problems, but there is no reference to what version of the control panel he is using.

If you sort through this post - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... ws+7#p2096- you'll see failures with Win7 64 bit laptops with 2 exceptions. One report a Compaq working. Buc reports it's working on his Win 7 64 bit Toshiba laptop, but he is using the Shark Basic Panel v1.4.0.10 (I don't have a date for that). On the working Compaq, there's no version number stated and I suspect it is also 1.4.0.10.

There are a number of other posts reporting the same or similar sounding problem but the one above has the most information in one place.

NextWave and the Rockler team have been mostly silent on this - at least on the forum. The other challenge is that the folks who have had problems have been somewhat silent on if they have found a solution or not after the initial burst - I hope they got this resolved - or they reported reverting to a desktop or non-Win7 laptop and moved on.

I lugged my Vista 64bit desktop out to the shop and it works with v1.4.0.17 (the latest). I don't have a Win7 or 64 bit laptop. This version does work on my Vista 32 bit laptop (Vista and Win7 are nearly identical for this purpose).

I think Buc's report of using v1.4.0.10 and it working is the most critical or useful given the lack of feedback from NextWave and Rockler. Unfortunately, it is no longer directly available from the NextWave download page. I suspect Tim would provide it to you, or you could PM some folks and arrange an ftp though. I have v1.4.0.10 that includes the scan function, but only v1.4.0.15 of the basic panel. This version may work as well, but don't know that and can't test it myself (unless you want to send a Win7 64bit laptop this way!).

So - I think you're ok to purchase a Win7 64bit laptop, but recognize that you'll need to obtain a copy of the v.1.4.0.10 basic panel and use that until NextWave addresses this bug/defect.

I have many years of hardware / software integration experience and I've run into this many times where the 32/64 bit machines show a difference (not only between the different OS but with laptops vice desktops). So, I believe that the sheer number of forum posts indicates a problem that none of us can fix ourselves.

My take for what it's worth.

Lastly - if you're looking for cheap and don't mind a desktop - I'd look at those as well. All the box stores and some online folks have some pretty nice deals for a desktop that is "better", at the same or lower price.

Buc

Post by Buc »

I have a Toshiba A505 with an intel core i7 processor Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit). Yesterday I tried updating from 1.4.0.10 control panel to the 1.4.0.17. I was sucessful and so far it has worked. Loads G code fine and router works fine. The only thing I did when I downloaded 1.4.0.17 and ran it was that I DID NOT have the controlled turn on. I turned the controller on after I had the control panel up on the screen. One more thing, the 12 year old neighbor kid down the street has probably forgotten more about computers than I know.

I am also a little disappointed to the support recieved from Rockler and Next Wave. There is my for what it is worth.
Buc
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Buc - did you uninstall the older version first - in addition to not having the controller turned off - or just run the installation for 1.4.0.17? Just curious.

Buc

Post by Buc »

Joe,

The first thing I did do was make a copy of 1.4.0.10 and save it to my jump drive, just in case... I did not uninstall the older version, just ran 1.4.0.17 version, and it installed the new version over the older one. The reason for not having the controller on, my opinion, I didn't want to confuse windows trying to find drivers and the drivers that come with the shark control panel. If that makes sence. I learned this back in the windows '98 days, trying to install a printer.
Buc
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Buc - thanks. I'm with you on removing potential murphy's law. The reason I asked about uninstall first is that I've seen apps that don't work from "scratch" if you will, but when installed over an "old one", do. Not trying to confuse the issue here, glad it is working for you.

It sounds like you may have remembered something the 12 year old down the street may not have had an opportunity to forget...

Hitch

Post by Hitch »

Well, I guess I will pick up a desktop. Someone had suggested MS offers software for a virtual computer. I checked it out and you need at least Windows 7 Professional. Windows XP 32-bit is one of the most trusted and therefore used OS in the computer controls industry. And I thought I was retired from this stuff - woodworking was to be the new thing. If this keeps going, I will have more computers than routers or planes. I will let you know how I made out. It certainly bets the record snow fall back home. Go BEARS!!!

Hitch

Post by Hitch »

Well, I finally got my new desktop. I guess there wasn't a warehouse in the Phoenix area. I'm using Windows 7 Pro. I installed the first program - no problems. I then installed the panel program and plugged in the controller and all cables. The blue and red LEDs are on solid, but the yellow is flashing at a slow rate. Running the panel program gave the following results - the program has the error "please check the CNC power and USB cable" I have uninstalled and re-installed both programs. Something of note, the USB connection is not seen by the desktop (My Computer - no new devices) I checked the USB port and it works. I can't find any info. on the yellow LED - "Comm established to the Basic Panel." Any help would be greatly appreciated.