intermitent loss of conection when running program

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

intermitent loss of conection when running program

Post by 9906202 »

So all seems to be working well with the software and hardware except that after the G code is downloaded and the cutter is running, I will loose the connection between the laptop and controller. This may happen right away or be 3 or 4 minutes into the program. The program continues to run as it is in memory in the controller, but I loose control over feed rate and E-stop. Seems to do this intermittently and other times not at all. Running 3 bit Vista on my laptop. Screen saver is active but that doesn't seem to be the reason for the disconnect as it usually stays in contact when the screen flips to saver mode. Any Ideas out there?

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: intermitent loss of conection when running program

Post by jeb2cav »

I would disable your screen saver and also ensure that all power saving stuff is disabled on the laptop. If you can find specifically USB and disk power settings, you may not have to use the brunt force approach, but otherwise, I'd disable all power savings options with the laptop plugged in. See if that cures it. It has been noted that things can drift away when screen savers and power saving stuff kicks in on laptops in other posts.

If you haven't tried - make sure your cabling isn't laying on top of each other - like power cords laying on the USB and/or motor cables - as well.

Re: intermitent loss of conection when running program

Post by 9906202 »

Thanks, Joe. I'll do it.