Depth of cut

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

JJDorn

Depth of cut

Post by JJDorn »

I am doing my first project, a simple Ohm symbol using MDF. I have the depth of cut set to .73, which is the material thickness. After bit changes I move the bit to contact the material surface at the X:Y 0:0 location and reset the Z to zero.
I ensured the Z travel will allow the bit to go beyond .73, and halfway through the spoil board, so that is not an issue.
I checked the .tap file and the last cut shows a Z of -0.7300

However, once the file is processed, the cut does not go all the way through, leaving .07" of material. :?

Other specs:
- H520 with spindle
- 1/4 upcut end mill bit
- machine type is 4003
- Post processor is "Next Wave CNC (inch)(*.tap)
- anything else I should check?

I do also get the message "file not referenced to center" that I have seen elsewhere in posts. I'll continue to check those out for an answer

Any idea why it is not cutting to the specified depth?

Thanks!
Jon

JJDorn

Re: Depth of cut

Post by JJDorn »

For the "file not referenced to center" issue, I found a Virtual Zero option under Apps on the pendant, so I set that to 'No' and the warning message went away

On another post I found that for the H520, the machine should be set to 4004. I'll try that and see if it fixes my issue

JJDorn

Re: Depth of cut

Post by JJDorn »

Changing the machine to 4004 was not the answer - it actually was worse.

I bumped the depth of cut to .80, and it did cut through in places. While not optimal, and prone to not producing the results I expect, is there anything else I should check?

With the cut not parallel to the board, I will check the gantry to make sure it is at 90 degrees to the board

Any hints or tips would be appreciated!