trouble with cutting scrolls

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

actionexpress

trouble with cutting scrolls

Post by actionexpress »

I am trying to engrave a scroll and I am using V carve pro. I tried a JPG and also BMP files. When I generate a program the cutting path around the curves it produces lines around the outside of it plus the tool depth goes up and down. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
20231207_090504.jpg
20231207_090517.jpg

Bob

Re: trouble with cutting scrolls

Post by Bob »

The good news: This is exactly what should happen when using the VCarve toolpath. You can control the depth if desired by setting the flat depth here:
depth.jpg
(Don't get confused by the start depth I'm using in this clip. Usually it's set a 0 inches.)
Another note: Whenever you convert a bitmap to vectors, you will get the set of two vectors around the parts of the bitmap you are converting. This is also what should happen.

If you want to use a profile cut, it gets more complicated. You would have to offset one of the vectors inward so it's in the center of the part, then cut a profile on the line.

Or, you could do a pocket cut with a small endmill inside the vectors.

Or, you could make a profile cut around the outside of the vectors.

Or, there are many other solutions...As you will probably see on the Vectric Forum where you also posted this question.

Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)