Missing lines of "Gcode"

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

peg_legs

Missing lines of "Gcode"

Post by peg_legs »

I have designed a project in VcarvePro, in that program it runs great. I am only using one cutter and when I save the design and "TAP" file then send it to the controller to build the "Gcode" everything looks good. All is good until about 95% done then the code ends and goes back to line 1 and the machine destroys my work. The code is 4284 lines long, but I built another one that was only 1251 lines and it did the same thing. Rockler gave me some ideas (reformatting the SD card, letting the Gcode build for 30 min. or more, gave it 60+ min) but these didn't work. I have had my "Pro" for about 10 days and it should work fine for the projects I have, but I have now lost one of them and more than 2 times the cost of the Pro! I hope I get an answer to this fast or I will be returning it.

I have called NWA and got voice mail, hope I get a return call fast.

spinningwood

Re: Missing lines of "Gcode"

Post by spinningwood »

I don't understand the "let the GCode build for XX minutes" suggestion from Rockler. I've created some pretty complicated toolpaths with tens of thousands of lines and they load into the Shark Control program in less than a minute.

Unfortunately the forum here doesn't allow the attachment of toolpaths or carving files (crv and tap). I would volunteer to take a look at yours to see if I could spot anything. If you want to try that and you have a site to host the files then post a link. If you don't have a host and want to try email then send me a PM. If you don't like any of those suggestions then sd cards are really cheap. Try putting a new one in.

Good luck.

Ed

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

By the way, when testing a toolpath that you suspect may go bad, consider doing an air carving. Set your Z Zero high enough so that you don't carve anything and just watch the job run. The kind of problem you are having would be easy to spot without having to look at an actual work piece. No sense adding the frustration of wasted material to the mix.

Ed

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

This is the first time I've heard anything like this. You could e-mail the V. carve file directly to me and I could take a look at it and even run a machining if necessary you might also want to include the tap file as you've generated it.

I've never seen the program start over since the program is downloaded to the controller and the computers just watching what's going on inside the controller. Did you happen to have anything else running or connected to the Internet that might have interfered with communication to your shark?

Go to the contact us page on CNCShark.com and you can get my e-mail address from there since I think the forum modifies e-mail addresses that are posted here.

Tim

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Tim - Mike had sent me the his crv and tap file. They looked fine and ran on my shark with no problem.

Ed

peg_legs

Post by peg_legs »

Next Wave sent me a new controller, old one returned 9/7/10 via USPS, it works just fine! The only question I have about it is everytime I start to run a program (only on first start up) I get a message that I need to run the conrtoller update. This happens each time I connect my computer to the Shark Pro. Everything runs super after that but it is a bit of a pain to do it each time. Any ideas??

I spent a lot of time looking at CNC routers and at some time in the future I will be getting a larger one, like a 4'x8' to do the other things I will be needing to do. BUT I am glad I got my Shark Pro, it has been able to do almost everything I expected it to do. I'm not new to woodworking or routing just new to CNC and computers and software are no trouble. I think I got a BIG BANG for my BUCK!!

My next thing I need to "nail down" is bit changes in the middle of a program, I have picked up some hints here and I have some ideas.
if / when I get it "nailed down" I will share it here!

Thanks to all the interesting "posts" I read them all! AND a BIG SPECIAL thanks to Next Wave for there prompt fix to my troubles and for a solid CNC Router!!

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

That should not be happening. It should just update once. Try it without the sd card in and see if that works.
If not email us at the contactus page on cncshark.com and we can get your controller repaired.

peg_legs

Post by peg_legs »

Thanks for responding so fast Tim, I may not get a chance to try it, with out the SD card, until this weekend. I will contact you with the results ASAP.
We are doing a ton of sign installation, about 45% are plastic and done with your Super Shark Pro! And we got 7 other orders because of the fine work it enabled
us to turn out. I hope you guys come up with a full sized CNC Router soon as you have me spoiled and I don't want to have to buy a different brand.

Please keep us in mind for any prototype or bata testing as we would be able to put it through many tests AND we are not that far from your office, about 65 miles.

Thanks again for your fast reply.

Mike

P.S. Looking forward to the upgrades that will be available to my new Shark Pro, some of them sound like I should have waited about 3 weeks and ordered the Pro+!!

peg_legs

Post by peg_legs »

Tim,
Removed SD card, started started everything up and was NOT asked to up date again.
Turned everything off reinserted SD card, started everything up and was not asked to up date this time!

Looks as if everything will be fine, starting new projects sometime this week.

I just have to try to understand how to change bits and have everything work out OK.

Couldn't a bit of code be written that at a point in the code a "stop" is inserted then the router moves to the highest
point in the "Z" direction, then when unit is started again it would return to the same "X","Y" and "Z" point and run
the balance of the program until it gets to another "stop" or the program finishes.

I write some types of computer programs but I don't know how to edit or write .TAP files / code.
The code looks as if it's not too hard to understand, if I can find a book / website that will show me
how I think I would give it a try!

Again, THANKS Tim for all your help and input!!! And keep me in mind for bata any testing!

Mike

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Mike - For that procees to work you would need to have each bit project the exact same amount from the collet. If you don't have tools with depth rings then the fussing you would do to get the exact same projection between tools will defeat the purpose of your code.

Ed