Problem with the Tabs

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

enriquewoodcarver

Problem with the Tabs

Post by enriquewoodcarver »

Im having problems with the tabs...
when I wanna add a tab I click on add tab and than I select where do I wanted but it shows it too small or thing...
Im doin a project the size of the model is L2.5 x W3.5 x .75 but I put on material size L3 x W4 x 1
so I wanna know whats wrong or what Im doin wrong I have a pic where Im addin the tabs
Attachments
The Tabs
The Tabs
ER

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Problem with the Tabs

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi ER - I have not tried setting the tabs in Cut3D. I use Cut3D to handle the 3D part - and then generate a file that I can import into VCarve. From there I'd create tabs if needed. This workflow may not work for you, but it might.

For a better/easier view of the workflow and the software that comes with the Shark, try this post out -http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=349.

Hopefully other folks who read this and have used Cut3D for tabs will chime in as well. Good luck.

Buc

Post by Buc »

I don't use cut 3D but i use Aspire V3.09. You posted that your model is .750" thick and your material is 1.0" thick. When you preview the tool path you are showing a depth cut of .750" showing only the tab at the depth of .750". You will have to change your depth of profile cut to 1" to get the complete preview of the tabs. This is just my thought, and what I would look at changing. Not sure it will be a fix.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

PeteD

Post by PeteD »

I agree with jeb. The tabs in cut 3d suck. Import the file into v-carve and put tabs in there. Pete

enriquewoodcarver

jeb2cav wrote:Hi ER - I have not tried setting the tabs in Cut3D. I use Cut3D to handle the 3D part - and then generate a file that I can import into VCarve. From there I'd create tabs if needed. This workflow may not work for you, but it might.

For a better/easier view of the workflow and the software that comes with the Shark, try this post out -http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=349.

Hopefully other folks who read this and have used Cut3D for tabs will chime in as well. Good luck.
How do u do that to generate in a file that u can import it into the Vcarce?
ER

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi ER - after working your way all the way through the Cut3D project (you're on the panel where you save off the tap files), save the Cut3D project. You'll note that this file is using a *.v3d extension.

In VCarve, to to File, Import - you'll see one of the choices is to import a PhotoVCarve or Cut3D file. Select that, and then select your *.v3d file (Cut3D file).
Import Cut3D File
Import Cut3D File
You can move it around in the VCarve project, but you can't resize it. If you find you need to resize it, open your Cut3D file again, make the changes, and then save it. Delete the object in VCarve and repeat the import of the "updated" Cut3D file.

An overview of the VCarve to Shark workflow is in this post - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=349

A fairly detailed post on the Cut3D to VCarve workflow is - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=382

Let us know what other questions you have - a good discussion so far.

enriquewoodcarver

jeb2cav wrote:Hi ER - after working your way all the way through the Cut3D project (you're on the panel where you save off the tap files), save the Cut3D project. You'll note that this file is using a *.v3d extension.

In VCarve, to to File, Import - you'll see one of the choices is to import a PhotoVCarve or Cut3D file. Select that, and then select your *.v3d file (Cut3D file).
Import Cut3D file.jpg
You can move it around in the VCarve project, but you can't resize it. If you find you need to resize it, open your Cut3D file again, make the changes, and then save it. Delete the object in VCarve and repeat the import of the "updated" Cut3D file.

An overview of the VCarve to Shark workflow is in this post - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=349

A fairly detailed post on the Cut3D to VCarve workflow is - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=382

I Have many questions and It will be great if I could see videos because the one that comes with the programs are not helpful enought or some videos that can specify what every function is used or how to use... if u know where I can find something like that...
ER

enriquewoodcarver

jeb2cav wrote:Hi ER - after working your way all the way through the Cut3D project (you're on the panel where you save off the tap files), save the Cut3D project. You'll note that this file is using a *.v3d extension.

Import Cut3D file.jpg

I was followin the steps and it didnt work on me because I did a scan and was save on Cut3D, and I like the post u gave on the site but I wanna see how can I do that by importing it to Vector Art 3D and than edit it on Vcarve Pro....

Thank you!!!
ER

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi ER,

I'm not sure I understand your question - "how can I do that by importing it to Vector Art 3d and then edit it on VCarve Pro..."

There is a program called VectorArt 3D Machinist. It basically does the same things with a 3D model/object as Cut3D does. The difference is that VectorArt 3D Machinist can only manipulate models from VectorArt 3D. Cut3D can import a number of 3D file formats, including VectorArt models.

If I understand the situation you're in - you have used the Shark scan probe to create an stl file. You would use Cut3D to open that file, and in essence create the 3D component as you desire - height, width, length, etc. Once that is done and you've saved that Cut3D project, you'd open up VCarve Pro, create a new project with the material dimensions you desire, and at some point import that Cut3D project into the VCarve Pro project as the 3D component. Again, you can move it around within your design, but if you need to resize that 3D component, you'd have to open that component back up in Cut3D, resize it, then import it again into your VCarve project.

If you look at the post on Cut3D to VCarve workflow, think of your stl file being used in Cut3D vice the filigree model I used.

The use of Cut3D and VCarve Pro is required to get what is referred to as "2.5D carving" as VCarve Pro has no 3D tools or capability "built in". Aspire however does have all of this capability, and more, and may be something you will want to consider upgrading to in the future if you find yourself doing a lot of 3D work. But before you get to that point, I'd encourage you to try and duplicate the steps shown in the Cut3D to VCarve workflow post.

You're right, there are not a lot of videos on the Cut3D aspect of this. There are a couple of VCarve tutorials on using a 3D model as a component. Those may be helpful to you as well.