Compare Shark and 3040

How are other systems alike/different from the Shark?

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

rrman

Compare Shark and 3040

Post by rrman »

On eBay there are numerous sellers of the 3040 CNC Router/engraver. How would this machine compare with the Shark on accuracy and speed as well as doing the same kind of work? The 3040 uses smaller bits and can do soft metals like brass as well as stone and steel. Does anyone have an opinion?

Nick Geti

milo30

Re: Compare Shark and 3040

Post by milo30 »

Most times you get what you pay for. I don't know anything about the machines but did a quick search and saw some samples that it had done in what appeared to be aluminum. It didn't look very good. I was a little surprised they put the pics for examples in the ad. As far as steel, that's probably going to be just light engraving which doesn't take that much to do. They didn't give much detail as to what kind of spindle it was using.

When choosing a cnc, the first thing that you need to consider is what do you want to do with it. If you have lofty expectations then you have to really look into whether the machine is capable of doing those things. You also need to find out about warranties and replacement parts as well as tech support, software, table size, etc. From the pictures that I saw, it doesn't look like you have much clearance for items very thick with that gantry. I would be very leery from the price about how much it is capable of actually doing. I know that the size alone would make it a no go for me.