Longworth Chuck file

Share your Shark projects with other forum members!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Forum rules
Do not post any files that violate copyright or licensing guidelines. Any post violating this rule will be deleted and the member may be banned from future use of cncsharktalk.
iampapabear

Longworth Chuck file

Post by iampapabear »

This is a Longworth chuck project I have been working on. The file is still "messy" and caution should be used when playing with it.
I generated tool paths for only the outer profile, the 6 arcs, the 6 holes and the center mark and center circle cutout. It measures 12 inches diameter. I cut it from 1/2 baltic birch.

If you know about the Longworth chuck (used with a wood lathe for final finish turning on a bowl or platter bottom) you know that it is two almost identical discs, one of them flipped and stacked on the other. The disc closest to the headstock needs a way to hold it to the lathe the outer disc needs a way to hold it to that disc. The center hole is for a hardwood plug cut and sized to fit both a lathe chuck and the center of the disc. I included a one inch and a two inch hole in the project, just choose which would be appropriate for whatever chuck you choose to use it with. The outer disc is then joined to the inner with a through bolt. You don't make all cuts on both discs, if you do, it won't work. I just put all tool-paths in one file for convenience sake. i choose which to cut when.

The center arcs show both an arcing closed loop, and a single arcing line. I use the arcing line when I cut, NOT the arcing loop. For some reason I have yet to figure out I haven't been able to get the arcing loop to cut correctly. The tool-path I tried to generate would cut only the ends of the arc, leaving the middle of them uncut. Still have to figure that one out?? Its gotta be something I am overlooking. :?:
Attachments
Longworth Chuck.crv3d
(621.5 KiB) Downloaded 826 times