CNC Shark Pro HD Router Clamp

Share your Shark projects with other forum members!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Forum rules
Do not post any files that violate copyright or licensing guidelines. Any post violating this rule will be deleted and the member may be banned from future use of cncsharktalk.
edcorusa

CNC Shark Pro HD Router Clamp

Post by edcorusa »

I have had my CNC Shark Pro HD for a few months now. It has been working great. The only problem I have had is the clamping of the router motor. I have gone through the forum and found others have been having the same problem. The motor clamp does not seem to hold my router tight enough. I have tried using electrical tape and sand paper around the motor and worked OK for a bit. After a few months I found that the clamp had cracked. The people at Next wave Automatons were more than helpful on sending me out a replacement clamp. Out of this, I have designed my own motor clamp.

The material I used is garolite (phenolic). The reason if for this is strength and it is a bit rougher that the material that the original clamp is made out of. This gives a bit more friction clamping the motor, like the sand paper does. To make this clamp I used the CNC Shark, a drill press and a table saw (a band saw would work too). I first cut out the clamp out of a 6" x 6" piece of garolite. After sanding down the tabs, I than used a 17/64 drill bit to drill the clamp screw hole in the rounded side of the clamp all the way through the piece (see photos). Followed by a 5/8" bit to counter sink the hole on both sides. Make sure you find a way of clamping the piece down before drilling because the side is rounded. Than I used a table saw to cut a slit in the piece for the clamp.

I would suggest doing a few tests on a 3/4" piece of plywood. You can also find the garolite on McMasters-Carr's website. The only problem is it is not black. :(

If you make any updates to the file please post them.
Attachments
RouterClamp.crv
VCarve file.
(273.5 KiB) Downloaded 670 times
Clamp in sample piece of plywood.
Clamp in sample piece of plywood.
Clamp out of garolite on router. Note clamp drill hole.
Clamp out of garolite on router. Note clamp drill hole.

FixitMike

Re: CNC Shark Pro HD Router Clamp

Post by FixitMike »

I would suggest that you make the cross holes for the clamp screw in the blank before it is contoured. Or at least the 5/8" counterbores.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

I modified the file a little for a more conventional "look". Will be cutting this from aluminum on a large Multicam CNC. The holes we will use a drill bit for. The rest with an end mill. Enjoy.

4D
Attachments
HD_RouterClamp.crv
Still needs a cross-hole and slot opening.
(224.5 KiB) Downloaded 554 times

grmons

Post by grmons »

I had the same trouble with my recently purchased HD Pro. To solve the trouble I use a 3½ "to 4" hose clamp and it works fine. See attachment.
Attachments
Hose Clamp 4 Router.jpg