My new CNC Shark HD1 XXL

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

e1r9i7c9

My new CNC Shark HD1 XXL

Post by e1r9i7c9 »

Look what i'am doing whit my HD1, Now I can do 38x54 Inch.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo-2.JPG
photo-3.JPG

4DThinker

Re: My new CNC Shark HD1 XXL

Post by 4DThinker »

Nicely done! Looks like nothing left of the original Shark but the motors! Are you happy with the plywood gantry? I'm jealous of your increased capacity! Smart to increase the width along with the length!

4D

e1r9i7c9

Post by e1r9i7c9 »

I use 3/4 birch plywood for gantry and it is much more rigid than the original. I only keep the engines, the computer and I reuse the T-Slut for my table

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

A very nicely done upgrade.
I see you widened the spacing of the gantry bearings as well as used fully supported bearings on all 3 axes.
The bearing rods in conjunction with the thicker back plate should make your gantry much more twist resistant as well.
That should give you a much more rigid machine.

Bob

baby15

Post by baby15 »

e1r9i7c9 wrote:Look what i'am doing whit my HD1, Now I can do 38x54 Inch.
I did mine 25 x72 an gives me 58 or 60 inch length. did not widen it

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

Have you had this long enough to note any warping/shrinkage/expansion from the B Birch? My bed is 1 1/2" B Birch and, in the garage, it did twist/swell. Now, it is in the basement.

Also interesting, it is stiffer than the plastic.

Another benefit would be, to a degree, the elimination of the plastic compression with the nuts and bolts. Did you use metal inserts instead of washers/nuts? It appears that way. Plus being able to construct various joints and glue two surfaces together. Much stronger.

Did you consider one or two braces across the rear of the gantry?

Having the Y Axis mounted on the face of the sides, not the bottom, would really help eliminate the sag associated with the plastic base etc.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

I don't suppose you would like to share the cut files for the plywood parts, eh e1r9i7c9? From the photos it looks like a great project to do with an older Shark. I have one myself that I would consider stretching out the bed and reinforcing the gantry for. I know the long parts can't be cut on a Shark, but I have access to a full size Multicam CNC as well.

I've worked a lot with Baltic Birch plywood, and it is surprisingly more flexible than most imagine. I like how you stiffen the vertical sides with the back panel. I might make the back gantry panel more of a box beam or thin torsion box though as I know how much the back panel of the Shark HD 2.0 can deform under the router load even with the guide rails screwed to it.

4D

e1r9i7c9

Post by e1r9i7c9 »

I have no problem to share my file, I should just do a little bit of clean up and I share. The longest piece is also cut on my CNC Shark, I just made ​​two cuts.

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

e1r9i7c9

I too would like to have the File(s) if you would be so kind.

Also, where you got the guide rods etc and part numbers? That, would be great ...

Thanks!
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

websjk

Post by websjk »

Please add me to the list for the files.
Would also be interested where you bought the upgraded parts also.

Thanks and Nice work.

Jerry