Dupont Silicone lube availability

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Glug

Dupont Silicone lube availability

Post by Glug »

The Dupont teflon silicone is a popular product for lubing the Shark. This is typically carried by Lowes at $3.98, but not Home Depot or Menards.

Unfortunately Lowes no longer seems to be carrying the product and it is not available for order. They still carry "DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant". That is a different (wet) product that is $5.99. I'm not sure what is really in it, or how the formulation differs.

There are a lot of econo off-brand silicone sprays. Some of them use carrier solvents that can melt plastics, and their silicone content is low. I think those products are to be avoided. One example I have tried and not liked is the CRC brand. That can has warnings about use on plastics.

Lowes, to their credit, also carries the liquid dupont silicone, and the dry teflon. This is one area where they are carrying higher quality products than menards or HD.

DougE

Re: Dupont Silicone lube availability

Post by DougE »

I usually purchase this type of item through Amazon.

14oz spray for $5.57. (Found in sporting goods as it is used for bicycles)

(I don't pay shipping so that cost is negligible.)

I used to buy this type of thing from my local hardware store but they're having trouble competing with the big box stores and Amazon alike.

Danwood

Post by Danwood »

Beware of silicone around wood you want to finish or glue up.
Before I retired from Boeing we had a military contract to make some electronic modules. The specifications called for the modules to be encapsulated in A Silicone compound. Because Silicone leaves a residue on everything it contacts. We set aside a separate room for this process. When the contract was finished rather than clean the equipment and use it for other purposes we had to destroy the equipment for fear of silicone contamination.
Silicone leaves a residue on any surface it contacts, It can not be totally removed from that surface. It will remain there and contaminate any thing that comes in contact with it.
After silicone contact, finishes will not adhere properly and on wood will not glue up reliably.
I do a lot of woodworking. I Am an old time woodturner, 20 years. I do some custom wood work on request. I have a 5 axis CNC Legacy artisan mill.
Silicone in any form is not allowed in my shop.
I use 3 in 1 oil on screws if there is not a serious dust problem.
what I use mostly is a Dry lube from Home Depot called Blaster, it sells for about $5.00. It is made with PTFE ,"Teflon". It drys quickly and will some times leave a white residue. This can be wiped off most surfaces. Once dry with the excess removed, It will not contaminate wood or any other surface.
I use It on my CNC, my Planer, my table saw, my jointer my Lathe and any metal surface where I want the wood to slide easily.
I have had no problems with finishes or glue ups.
I hope this helps.
Danwood

DougE

Post by DougE »

Great info Danwood !

(I think you're speaking of-- Blaster Dry Lube with PTFE Lubricant (contains no silicone)-- at the HDepot)

Thank you for sharing.