Cleaning brushes for screws

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Glug

Cleaning brushes for screws

Post by Glug »

I'd like to install some stiff brushes to clean the grooves of the screws in the Shark. Especially the Y screw, which is buried under the machine.

I am wondering if the screws that hold the little cover plate on, where the screw enters the bearing, could be removed to afix a brush. Or would removing those screws, even one at a time, cause problems?

I'm not sure of the ideal config of the brush. I suppose it could even be the head of a cheap stiff toothbrush, possibly narrowed in bands to sit within the groove. Ideally the brush could be easily removed to flick the debris from it. A brush might not be the best approach, since I'm not sure that would remove dust. Perhaps a wiper of some sort, possibly felt, would be better.

The X is pretty easy to clean, but parts of the Z are not. And that Y.

Anyone considered a mod like this?

DougE

Re: Cleaning brushes for screws

Post by DougE »

Have you ever considered affixing some 1/4" air lines to the head on both ends ?

A constant air-wash just prior to the worm gear meshing would likely be a 'best' solution.

A brush will keep things clean, but, it also will 'hold' onto debris and possibly apply it to the worm gear when it reverses direction.

Just something to consider. (I've not done this myself but one day will rip this entire machine down and rebuild components I feel need more attention)

Doug E