stroke

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

heresursign

stroke

Post by heresursign »

I recently had a stroke. is there any of you that might give me some pointers on operating the shark with one hand???

4DThinker

Re: stroke

Post by 4DThinker »

Sorry to hear about your stroke, Heresursign.

Hopefully the hand that still works is your dominate hand, otherwise this may take more time/energy.

Since drawing, icon selecting, etc., can all be done with a mouse you should be OK using VCarve and the controller software with one hand. Typing file names to save files under may be easier with two, but as you've made this post it looks like you can handle typing.

Installing or changing bits in the router is something easiest and apparently designed to take two hands, so there lies your biggest challenge. Putting boards on the table may need two hands if they are large/heavy, but not if you can pick them up with one hand. Getting them clamped down shouldn't be hard, as I generally handle sliding in a clamp and tightening it down with one hand.

I'm certainly no expert on one-handedness, and have no personal experience on the matter other than having used a Shark for a few years now. As I imagine my process from start to finish it is only the keyboard and changing bits in the router where my two hands insist on contributing. I suspect with some thought the collet lock on a router could be rigged to stay closed while your one hand loosens and replaces the bit. There is a pretty good spring behind the button on both the Bosch Colt and Dewalt 611 that can be used on the cheaper Sharks. The latest models hold a range of full-size routers, and a question to the manufacturers of these may find an adaptation for one-handed use.

Get better. I hope this helps.
4D

heresursign

Post by heresursign »

my typing takes forever.
I guess I'm down to looking at all the tools in my shop and wishing---until better days

heresursign

Post by heresursign »

by the way it is my dominate hand---bummer

thanks for the concern though

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

A couple of thoughts:

My oldest daughter has Cerebral Palsy. She is cognitively 100% thank God, but she does have walking issues and fine motor control issues, so typing is a chore for her.

She has been using Dragon Dictate for 10 or more years to type for her. In the beginning it took some time to train the software to her voice, but later generations work amazingly well right out of the box. She has version 10 and I think it is up to 12 now. It can control the computer within some programs too. She can text and send PMs way faster than I can now. It does work and if you sign up for their emails, it can be bought on sale for under $100.00.

Second, look into a quick change chuck such as the Eliminator from Whiteside: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007O ... tingwoo-20 It will make one handed changes MUCH easier since it is done primarily with an Allen wrench. I am thinking a block of foam, lower the head, push your bit down into the foam and let it "spring" back up so that the shank is in the chuck, then use the Allen wrench while the foam holds the bit for you. Or something like that. Maybe use a spring clamp to hold the bit on end and jog the head over the bit and down.

Hope this helps,

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

Also the Muscle Chuck is tightened with an Allen Wrench. Should be doable.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

Glug

Post by Glug »

Get well!

The Porter Cable 892 router has a push button to lock the collet. I think you could fairly easily hold that button in with a heavy rubber band, or velcro. Put the bit in, and rotate the nut by hand until the bit is retained. Then operate the wrench.