If You Had A Choice

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

zstat

Re: If You Had A Choice

Post by zstat »

Well Ed, In the middle of my 1st carve with the spindle my computer took a crap 1/2 way through... Needless to say I was not a happy camper... I went yesterday and bought a new tower from Sam's and had to go through the process of reinstalling all the software and finding all the serial #s. Sa as I type this its running away... As far as the spindle goes its running smooth and its so dang quiet... now I wish my dust collection system was quieter... I wonder if theres a spindle for that :)...

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

LOL ... sounds like your system has been giving you some hurdles to jump. I wonder if the PC wasn't a victim of static discharge. I run a humidifier that seems to help. It doesn't help the electric bills. ;) I'm pleased that you seem to be over the last of the hurdles. I use a big Shop Vac. Sounds like a jet taking off. It's in the shop so nobody really cares.
Ed

Rando

Post by Rando »

Zstat....LOL...doesn't your handle, in electronics, mean the impedance (Z) to static discharge? Ironic? Phhoooey!

One way I have my shark running, that keeps my PC completely isolated, is that the USB connection actually happens over ethernet. I have one of these, essentially a USB device server. The computer that runs my shark is far away across the house, and not in any way electrically "close" to the machine.

http://www.silexeurope.com/en/home/prod ... 000gb.html

They make them wireless too, but I prefer that more-reliable ethernet connection.

When I'm at the Shark machine, I use a laptop that's running a remote session on that across-the-house computer, via a wireless network connection. That way the one controlling the Shark is off running by itself, and even a shutdown or crash in the laptop won't stop the program. I can even walk around the house with the laptop in tow, not worrying one bit about whether the battery is alive, or even whether the laptop is awake.

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)