Wood to use for various types of projects

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

winbrayer

Wood to use for various types of projects

Post by winbrayer »

Can someone give my some ideas of types and thicknesses of wood for various types of project.?

tonydude

Re: Wood to use for various types of projects

Post by tonydude »

I just added your name to the map. There are 2 other people that have a shark contact them for help. Might be able to get together.

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=395

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Winbrayer...

Type? Depends on what your are making.
Thickness? Depends on what you are making.

I teach design, and the starting point is to describe what you want to make. List any qualities the project must have like weather resistance, strength, flexibility, environment the project will end up in, etc.. The more specifically you can describe the thing(s) you want to make, the more likely we can give a specific answer.

The last thing I cut on my Shark was a template/jig to use with a hand-held router and pattern bushing. The bushing is about 3/16" tall, so the thinnest material I could use had to be thicker than that. The template material needed to be able to hold it's profile in use, so that ruled out any "soft" materials. I had a scrap of 1/4" baltic birch plywood in my shop that was big enough, so I cut the template out of it. 1/4" masonite (hard board) would also have worked.

Before that I was cutting assorted demonstration v-carved patterns, to show off the VCarving feature to some friends. I chose some scraps of tru-pan (MDF) because they were homogeneous, cheap, consistently thick, and take paint well.

So... what do you want to make?

winbrayer

Post by winbrayer »

I am going to start with oval golf awards with rounded edges and 2 small golf figures painted and 1/2 round lettering painted black. Need to coat with something that will withstand weather in some cases.

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

I like Azek, available from Home Depot and elsewhere. It is a cellular PVC material that machines well. Home Depot also sells a less expensive material that is similar and only costs about 30% more than regular select pine. Cellular PVC resists moisture and it paints well but does not require painting. It comes in white at Home Depot and in standard widths of 3/4" thickness. Other colors and thicknesses may be available elsewhere. The finished product does not check or warp.

Happy carving,
Ed

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

1) types of wood-- cheap or free
2) thickness-- however thick cheap and free wood comes in

Ha ha ha... I'm full of it tonight!

Seriously, I'm a bargain hunter and scrounge stuff that can be salvaged or kept from the garbage. I actually do buy first rate wood on occasions where it will pay for itself, but those occasions are rare :)

Some of my better finds have been:
2" thick American Walnut, 7 planks that were 8' long and 9" wide ($200 for all)
truck load of corian sink cutouts big enough to make my s10 truck squall ($200 full load)
Brazilian teak flooring that had been put down wrong and taken up. Also big load that made the truck squall (free, just had to get it home from 100 miles away.... but I was there already working on the job and had to come home anyway, so I still considered it free)

Check my posted projects and you will spot some of all of these.

BTW, 3/4" is what I have a lot of scraps in, and what I normally buy.... if I'm buying.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

winbrayer

Post by winbrayer »

Great advice. Thanks for your help. I am new at this and have lots of questions.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Well, don't be afraid to wade in and ask. There is also a decent search feature on the forum. Its easy to find past conversations on a lot of topics with a little bit of looking. However, I know sometimes I get frustrated and want an answer RIGHT NOW LOL But there is a very big resource here on the forum.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com