Painting colors and finishes for projects

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

winbrayer

Painting colors and finishes for projects

Post by winbrayer »

I need help with the kind of paint to use to color carvings and the process to get clean lines at the edges. Also would like to know what finishes give a nice shiny and outdoor finish to signs.

Shipfitter

Re: Painting colors and finishes for projects

Post by Shipfitter »

I have only been doing this now for about 4 months. In the process I have been using acrylic paints for color (thin with water if needed), and I started buying a spray finish that is for outdoors (that I haven't used). Up until now I have only been using a finish coat I purchased from an arts store. But that wasn't for outdoor use, and it wasn't quite as durable as apposed to poly. The acrylic paints come the art store also.

winbrayer

Post by winbrayer »

Thank you for your response.

Scottart

Post by Scottart »

I use acrylics, than use a varathane that is rated outdoor and is UV rated. I also put a light coat of Urethane on the finished wood piece prior to painting. If you don't than depending on the wood you use , it will be a bit like painting on a sponge. The paint will migrate in the wood. That makes it hard to keep crisp lines. So, try varnishing first and last.

Scottart

Post by Scottart »

I use acrylics, than use a varathane that is rated outdoor and is UV rated. I also put a light coat of Urethane on the finished wood piece prior to painting. If you don't than depending on the wood you use , it will be a bit like painting on a sponge. The paint will migrate in the wood. That makes it hard to keep crisp lines. So, try varnishing first and last.