How Much Dust are we talking about?

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

David Grimes

How Much Dust are we talking about?

Post by David Grimes »

Hello all. Just getting things slowly situated. one of my many questions: How much dust will this thing make? Assume that I will use MDF only for some learning trials and possibly as a sacrificial bed, but other than that it will be various hardwoods for the most part.

I will be using the dust collector foot and a suspended 2 1/2" hose that will ultimately make it to 4" line into and through a separator to outdoors. Does it need to be enclosed? Or with dust/chip collection are sides only more the order for the day? If sides, how tall?

My dedicated PC, monitor, power conditioner and control box will be wall mounted in an enclosure just a few feet away from the unit.

Thanks in advance for any advisement.

DG

drueth

Re: How Much Dust are we talking about?

Post by drueth »

LOTS of dust You want to ware a dust mask when you cut the MDF. As far as the hard wood goes it will also cause a lot of dust also. And it will through it in all directions if you do not have an inclosure as some of the readers here have made try a search for "shark tank"

Good luck take your time and follow this site as well as the Vectric site and you will learn a lot about what you can do with your shark.
drueth
Shark Pro Plus HD
new to CNC 12/2012

JonathanRolt

Post by JonathanRolt »

I completely agree to what Drueth is saying.You will have to deal with lot of dust.Read this article to get more information about it.

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

I agree with drueth and David, a cnc generates a huge amount of dust. Mdf dust is particularly fine and nasty.

Although I highly suggest some type of enclosure, the need for an enclosure will be dependent on how well your dust collection works. If you already have large lines and a separator, necking the hose down will restrict air flow, (and you need a lot of flow for good capture).

The NWA dust shoe , IMHO, is too restrictive for a cnc doing anything but the lightest carving, because of its small hose connection. I would consider a dust shoe with a 4" dia opening to get the most from the system you already have. (like the KentCnc Shoe, which is made from clear material so you can see through the top). The Rockwell 4" flex hose is very good for this application in that it is lightweight and very flexible. I originally started out with a smaller size hose and found very quickly that it was hindering the flow significantly. I use the Kent shoes now and am very happy with the quality.

Although my setup is in an enclosure, the machine (and enclosure) stays pretty clean just from the dust collector. The dust shoes can miss some of the chips that are thrown out from the bit sideways, (parallel to the table) and I made thin wall barriers on the sides and ends of the table to contain those, and keep the chips on the table top and away from the y axis bearings under the table top.

An enclosure also does wonders to quiet down a screaming router. That alone makes it worthwhile.

Bob