Interchangeable Router/Spindle Mount?

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

briankb

Interchangeable Router/Spindle Mount?

Post by briankb »

I have a Mako edition. As I understand things the Pro Plus HD is the same model. If this isn't the case please move my post into the appropriate forum category.

I would like to be able to change out the standard router mount for other rotary tools like a dremel or even a slower drill type motor. Has anyone tried this yet (pics)? Another option I'm considering instead of a completely new mount for each is just to make a insert for the original and existing router mounting block.

rungemach

Re: Interchangeable Router/Spindle Mount?

Post by rungemach »

I think an interchangeable system is possible.

If you started with a thicker standard mount, like the one Sam at Dixie Billet makes in aluminum, you could make inserts "sleeves" that would have the 3.5" outer diameter of the PC and Bosch routers. This insert inner diameter would be made to fit to whatever you wanted that had a smaller diameter. The insert might even be able to be made of a good wood. You would slot it so that the original clamps action would also be able to clamp the sleeve to the smaller diameter router.

I think the key is having enough thickness in the original mount to allow a thick insert to be made and clamped or fastened to the new tool. The insert could be thicker than the main mount and have a "lip" on one side to locate it when dropped into the main mount. For this it will be important to have a solid main mount that can be loosened and retightened often without losing dimensional integrity. IMHO, The plastic mount will not be a good candidate for this.

The interchangeable insert sleeves would need to be made with close enough tolerances that the main clamp will snug everything up tight when tightened. If you make the sleeves on your shark, you can experiment and fine tune the diameters to get the fit you need.

briankb

Post by briankb »

I like that idea. I've seen that aluminum mount on a few videos from Darlington farm I just didn't remember where he got it. Also it was on the expensive side, but as you said it would provide a better platform and allow the inserts to be changed as needed.

Thanks!

baby15

Post by baby15 »

briankb wrote:I like that idea. I've seen that aluminum mount on a few videos from Darlington farm I just didn't remember where he got it. Also it was on the expensive side, but as you said it would provide a better platform and allow the inserts to be changed as needed.

Thanks!
I had a friend make 3 with aluminum an they work very well

baby15

Post by baby15 »

briankb wrote:I have a Mako edition. As I understand things the Pro Plus HD is the same model. If this isn't the case please move my post into the appropriate forum category.

I would like to be able to change out the standard router mount for other rotary tools like a dremel or even a slower drill type motor. Has anyone tried this yet (pics)? Another option I'm considering instead of a completely new mount for each is just to make a insert for the original and existing router mounting block.
hd an mako are the same

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

I think that Sam makes his mounts at least an inch thick, maybe slightly more.
He gets about 50 bucks for them.

I feel you need the strength of aluminum and the thickness to support clamping a slotted sleeve to hold a smaller tool tight and straight.
The insert however could be a strong wood.

Not sure what Darllington farm did with his, I thought he had a pro plus, not a HD machine.

jtoporange

Post by jtoporange »

Has anyone put a water cooled spindle motor on? A friend of mine has a K2 CNC with a Colombo Spindle motor that is whisper quite @24,000 rpm. I found the similar water cooled spindle and inverter online for less then $400. It looks like it can be adapted.
?????????????

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

The quality of the Chinese spindles an be somewhat spotty, depending on where you buy it. They require 220v for the inverter.You will need a water tank and a pump, along with suitable water lines. These spindles run much quieter than a typical router as they are sealed up. The body is longer than a typical router and the diameter is usually 80mm. The runout of the 1.5 kw unit I have is very good. The typical inverter sold with these can be easily modified to have a front panel rotary speed control knob. The spindles are brushless, so in theory they should run longer before needing maintenance. The bearings will most likely determine the life of the unit.
Columbo spindles are very precise and cost 5 times as much. IMHO, The Shark is not a commercial strength machine and can not push a large spindle to its maximum potential without flexing and losing some accuracy

I have a chinese 1.5 kw on my highly modified machine that started life as a shark pro.
If I were to mount one of these on an HD level machine I would start with a Sam's clamp on the bottom, made for the 80mm body, (I would not use a sleeve on a stock size clamp) Then see if a second thinner clamp could be used higher up to pin the upper spindle body to the router mount back plate up higher. Or perhaps ask Sam to make a billet clamp a bit thicker, like 2 inches thick.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

When I met Tim Owens at the Rockler display at IWF a few years back he had some 3D printed parts he said were done on a Shark with a plastic extruder mounted on it. I've been imagining since then a revised tool mount strategy that could take any kind of tools and quickly exchange them. Maybe a flat vertical plate with a center hole/bolt for a wing nut and four surrounding holes for tapered alignment pins. Spin the wing nut off and your tool comes off. Spin it back on to fasten the laser or extruder or knife or spindle or crayon holder for that matter. The tapered pins bring it into perfect alignment as the nut tightens up. You need a unique holder for each tool, but they all fit to the same Z-axis plate for easy On and Off. It may take completely re-thinking the Z-Axis assembly. I'd still love to have just one 3-axis machine for all the possible 2 and 3 axis tasks I can think of instead of separate devices.

jtoporange

Post by jtoporange »

What is the name of your Chinese 1.5 kw spindle and is the air cooled machine work the same. We are building parts for LSA (Light Sport Aircraft). Currently cutting dash with all of the instrument holes.
It is very rewarding to be able to accomplish these engineering task and to figure out how to improve the process with the help of others that share the passion.
All input is greatly appreciated and valued.