If You Had A Choice

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

pjblues

If You Had A Choice

Post by pjblues »

Okay, I am getting ready to purchase. If you had a choice and had the money, would you purchase the Rockler 60th Anniversary Shark complete with everything for $3999 or spend the extra and get an Axiom or Laguna IQ with a spindle for $5500? I would then have to purchase the software, clamps, etc. for these machines. I am leaning towards the Shark since I have not had a CNC for woodworking but am willing to spend the extra for "better" equipment. I am torn folks, what do you think? I really like and value the opinions of people who have responded to my initial questions thus far.

Thanks.

studio-n

Re: If You Had A Choice

Post by studio-n »

If I had to do it again, I'd go with a Shopbot Desktop and would be able to get a 4th axis attachment in
my lifetime.
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

The best part of the purchase price is VCarve Pro and Cut3D. The 60th anniversary model is the best Shark they have made so far, although it still has a few weaknesses it should cut just about anything a more expensive brand can so long as you watch your feed rate and pass depth. The t-track bed has been improved over earlier models as well, with interlock between sections to make it act as though it is one solid piece. Buy a couple more clamps as the 2 it comes with aren't enough. You might also look through the shared projects subforum for clamp patterns to make so you'll have some more. A full t-track bed is far better to start with than an MDF sheet.

Having the software ($850 value) will allow you to eventually move up to something larger if you need to as Vectrics products come with post processors for a few hundred different CNCs. G-code is pretty universal so even if you don't find one for a specific CNC there is probably one or more that will work.

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

Let's see...

It would be nice ...

- To have a Controller that is not built by and proprietary to the Mfgr
- Heftier X Y Z screws
- Ball screws instead of plastic bushings
- Something better than bushings on the guide rods
- Decent connectors and no wires simply hanging out of the servos
- Metal where one expects metal
- Limit switches on each Axis
- Strongest table possible
- A manufacturer that seems open to existing problems and new ideas
- Controller Software that is rock stable and works
- Option for liquid cooled spindle
- Shipping box. crate preferred, that looks thought out
- Option for Third Party Controller software
- Decent metal mount for the motor
- An undercarriage that supports everything that will not twist
- And, a machine that arrives with all the nuts and bolts tight, decently aligned, ready to go
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

Pjblues,

You may want to pose this question over at the Vectric forum as there is a great diversity of machine owners there, not promoting any specific brand.

http://forum.vectric.com/

You can also look at the posts and projects in the gallery (similar to what you might like to do).

Bob

pjblues

Post by pjblues »

As always, you folks are so helpful! I am considering everything. I want to make a decision as soon as possible but since this can be a significant investment, I want to try to make the best decision possible.

Thanks again and I will let everyone know what I end up with.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I don't think you're going to find a better value for the cost. In the end, I'd assess what you want to do with the machine - how that might grow, and if it does grow - does that mean you'll be needing a different set of capabilities.

If I ever decide to do more types of projects than I currently do, I'll need a larger footprint machine - and that takes me well beyond the 10K range. Take a look at the projects shown in the showcase. Yes, there are limitations or capabilities that aren't present with a Shark - that's part of the trade in cost. Yes, some folks have had different experiences with theirs than others. But there are a large number of users who are using an out of the box Shark and making quite a range of interesting, wide ranging in composition, and for many profitable -projects. I'd look at the differences and how that might impact the planned use - and then judge the 'knee in the curve' that is appropriate for you. If I was starting from scratch, and was thinking about this size machine and looking at $2K or more difference, I'd make the same choice as I did 4 years ago - a Shark HD (warts and all) (well, at the time it was a Shark Pro Plus - but it made nice things warts and all)(of course, none of the other machines out there have any warts). If you're already in this budget area, the Shark HD is your only choice.

Danwood

Post by Danwood »

If you want a better and stronger Machine, You should look at a Legacy made in the USA.
They make a model called the explorer with All steel welded frame etc. also you get a better post processor Mach 3.
It is worth a look.
Dan

pjblues

Post by pjblues »

So I went and actually looked at the new Rockler 60th Anniversary model Shark. The table is much improved! I cannot visualize flex in it but I suppose it is still -possible. It is interlocked tongue and groove aluminum, about 4" wide. Completely different than the HD Plus from what I saw. Now I am seriously getting ready to put up the money. My only concern is the router versus spindle. I really would like a spindle. Anyway, I know some of you have converted your Sharks to spindles so I would be interested in finding how to do that and what spindle to use. Bottom line is $4,000 you get everything except the router. I would go with the PC big one, if I cannot get a spindle.

I am going to do another review of the Axiom, CamMaster, Probotix, and now from a suggestion, the Legacy.

Thanks again.

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

Take a peak at AxiomPrecision.com

$4000 buys you a better built Cnc. Router based. Spindle? $5500
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn