adjusting x and y alignment

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

TomTurner

adjusting x and y alignment

Post by TomTurner »

Tram T.crv3d
(27 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
I thought I had done a good job aligning my machine. The Z-axis Rods and router axis were well aligned. When I made a T - pattern similar to that in the attached file the surface is smooth and flat.

I just installed the aluminum backplate and only had to do minor tweaks to the adjustment. I had noticed some of my furniture joints were not as god as I expected. While verifying the Z-axis tram I decided to measure the X to Y alignment. To my surprise the X axis is not orthogonal to the Y axis. I loosened the 4 mounting bolts on each side of the bottom of the gantry and corrected it as much as I could but there is still going across 20 inches about 1/8 of an inch error. It is not clear there is an easy way to shim it further. I thought about putting a shim between the new back plate and the gantry but the x-rods and screw would not move.

Has anyone had to align the X-Y axis and found an easy way to do it? I hate to drill out holes that attach gantry to Y sled to allow more adjustment(slop if the bolts work loose).

On the attached file I take a piece good quality MDF and machine the patter with a 1.25 inch end mill. If not correctly trammed the pattern lines are very obvious. The Y axis aligned section of the T indicates the tram in the left right direction (rotation around the Y axis). The X aligned section of the T provides information on the tram in the forward back direction (rotation around the X axis. A finger running over the surface is incredibly sensitive to small ridges that can also be seen with a raking light illumination.

McBuster

Re: adjusting x and y alignment

Post by McBuster »

Make certain the piece under the table that goes from one Y Axis Guide to the other, across the Screw in the middle, is square to the world. Loose bolts, poor alignment, blocks incorrectly placed, will all play a part. An 1/8" is fairly large. The slats are easy to take off. I would align both sides to the front end of the Base.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn