Router clamp issue- again! unbelievable

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

pshupe

Re: Router clamp issue- again! unbelievable

Post by pshupe »

Thanks Rod - I didn't see that, but my Bosch 1617 router has a tapered portion that sits well above the bolts, about 2" actually. So it is not an issue with the bolt heads. Thanks for the tip though.

Cheers Peter.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Scooter,
The issue that they are talking about is that HDP material (or what ever it is) that is used a lot on the Shark does not make a good clamp. The ears that the bolt tightens as a tenancy to bend and eventually allows the router to slip under pressure. For me the ears actually broke. The clamp that some use to replace it is from Dixie Billets in TN (Nashville or somewhere close) and is by far the best product to replace it with. BTW, I assume that you are aware that you need to get approval from American Legion National for each and every American Legion logo that you carve. I have been through this process several times with them and it can be a bit frustrating because there are actually a couple of routes that you can take to get approval. It comes down to : One works and the other doesn't. Be careful carving copyrighted logos (for sale or gift) as some companies and in this case the American Legion can be quite aggressive in protecting their copyrights.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Yes, Dixie Billet does business the way I do business. As long as I have a customer I am "open". I have talked to a customer about one of my Corian headstones at 5:00pm, sent a proof by 7:00, carve it by 10:00, got the paint baking by 11:00 and ship it by 12:00 noon the next day. I think you will be glad you bought the clamp. You might not need it for 2+ years as I did, but when I did have to buy it, I had to have the machine down for several days till it came in. I liked the one suggestion that you might get NWA to replace it for free. Lets see.... bad design only because of a bad materials selection + no change once you discover the problem = the same thing is gonna happen again. I stand by my choice to go with NWA although there might be some better choices not, but I'm still not sure about that, however like most things there are some good ideas that do filter through as evidenced by the aluminum replacement back piece that corrects some of the gantry flex and swept side pieced that actually allow for you to cut the specified 25" x 25" area without going off the table. Various people have various results when dealing with NWA but fortunately I never have had to rely on them in the 3 years that I have had the first version of HD machine that came out. Still the best unit that I have seen for the money that it cost. I will say that they HD version (whichever one is current) is still the best size/value/package for the money.

Now, regarding my sidetracking of this thread. LOL The "licensing" process really doesn't pertain to if the item is a gift or how many is going to be made. It is more that National has control over how the emblem is presented and control over the context that it is used. Its not up to the local commander whether to seek permission or even for that matter the State Adjutant and how ever many connections they may have or strings they pull. Bottom line is that if you do something on the local level and National doesn't like it or wanted a cut of the pie, guess who is going to come under fire?? the state Adjutant?, the local Commander? nope the vendor that made it! Just like the terms "merchandise" and "products", it is still a tangible piece of property and the copyright litigation is not really going to be concerned where the money came from or went, its going to be looking at, did you follow the law regarding copyright usage, ie seek and receive permission from the holder of the copyright. I agree, sometimes it is easier to seek forgiveness than obtain permission and that is something you have to decide. Every post is going to be different. It was my local commander that pointed out that the emblem copyright issue had nothing to do with whether it is a gift or not. I thought it was ridiculous when I first heard it and still do to some degree, but like I say, one litigation with a small time operator like me would ruin me financially, so I won't touch it. I have made about 50-60 of my American Legion Desk nameplates for post level and even state level and obtained permission for all of them. I even contacted emblem sales about getting a license to make and sell them through emblem sales or give emblem sales a percentage and was turned down with a "canned" response that was actually semi-offensive stating that they weren't seeking a product like that at this time. So I will continue to do it by having the local post get permission for each and every time they buy them. Just means more profit for me if emblem sales doesn't take a cut. The process route that you take does make a difference though. If you go online and send the request to national rather than do the paper form to State who then approves it and sends it to National, it has a has a better chance of getting approved quicker, if at all. I am still waiting for a request to make a sign for our "Hot Dog/Hamburger Sales". I sent it via the state route and went ahead and made the sign thinking permission would be quick behind. I have still not heard back from that and its been almost a year. However, the risk of getting caught would depend on someone coming here and seeing the sign and then questioning whether or not I had gotten permission (slim to none) where if you make something that makes a bunch of money for the post, and winds up in the state newsletter, then maybe selected for a national publication, it can quickly find itself into the hands of the right people who are in charge of enforcing the laws for the American Legion, which may not even be a Legionnaire. Its all about risk and reward and punishment. Personally the risk of giving a gift is not worth the cost of attempting to defend myself in court, regardless of if I win or loose. That's just my opinion which as developed base on conversations with my local commander on the front end. Every commander is going to be different and want and allow different things, so you have to ask yourself, is the risk worth the reward. In your case the reward all went to the Post and the risk all rest on your shoulders. I'm sure you are right, that you will never get caught, maybe. LOL Btw, I have pictures of some of the American Legion stuff that I have done, on my website. The guy from emblem sales even made a statement to me, over the phone, that having them on my website could be a problem although when he looked at them and sent the canned response to me, he didn't mention it. I was almost thinking that I should take them off my website even though there was a disclaimer about having to obtain permission prior to purchase.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com