PC re quirements

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

TAW

PC re quirements

Post by TAW »

Have not bought yet- I saw the info i want but can not find now- what are the requirements for the pc that is to run the shark need to be or where is the info?

jimily

Re: PC re quirements

Post by jimily »

For the Sharks it seems the only thing they say is: "Requires a PC computer with USB 2.0 port ( not included)"

I run the Shark Control Panel software from a 14 year old XP machine so that part doesn't require diddly to run.

Now for the Aspire/Vcarve software: From the Vectric Site the page that lists PC requirements: http://support.vectric.com/aspire-quest ... n-software. I run this part on a Windows 8 machine but any modern day PC will run it fine--although I have heard some grumblings about Windows 10 but it's just out and that's typical of new versions always until they are patched for all the undiscovered "features".

Hope this is helpful,
Jim
It is easier to destroy than it is to create, just look at my scrap pile.

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD
Bosch EVS1617 w/ PrecisionBits Collets
Dixie Billet Aluminum Router Clamp Upgrade
Vcarve 8.0, Inkscape on Windows 8; CP 2.1 on WinXP

bill z

Post by bill z »

The PC I'm using is a very old IBM Thinkpad T30. It did have some USB problems with its native USB ports, but I started using a USB PCMCIA card and Ta Da! Its ALIVE!!! (Remember Frankenstein?)

jimily

Post by jimily »

Ahh pcmcia the dongle of the future... good recovery mav!

Jim

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD

TAW

Post by TAW »

Thx for the info- may have to get the old lap top and try it once I get one bought. Should be this week.
I have another question that I am waiting for Rockler to answer but some here can probably tell me- if I have project longer then the work area can the software take thi into account and I can reposition board to finish it- is this called tiling? and if this is possible will desktop v carve do the trick or does it take v carve pro 8.0 to do this? I was comparing the software from the chart and saw about 4-5 differences.

jimily

Post by jimily »

This page: http://www.vectric.com/products/vcarve/ ... tm#tlimits makes me think it's in all the Vcarve apps, but are limited to cut size by the software in general on not Pro platforms. I have Pro 8 so I can't say what non-pro versions really have. Someone will know.

Anyway Vectric.com is where the software comes from, their support might also have the answer quicker and more correctly than Rockler.

Jim
Last edited by jimily on Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD

meb

Post by meb »

VCarve Desktop will output Tiling toolpaths. If you plan on using this feature you need to make sure you accurately mark your board for the tiles and make sure you have a good index point to register each tile location. I do work great.

TAW

Post by TAW »

mine has not shipped yet maybe Monday............... does instruction tell you how and where
to mark boards for the tiling use- I am guessing the do -does program put a lite mark as reference to go by? or would be possible?

meb

Post by meb »

Watch the video tutorial on tiling that comes with the software. Watch all the videos, there are a lot of them but the are good and will explain everything.