New HD enclosure

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

dmyers

New HD enclosure

Post by dmyers »

Has anyone purchased the the CNC HD enclosure that Next Wave is now selling?
It seems pricey a $699.99! With only one access door on the front it would be difficult
to get to the back end of the machine to clamp, clean, etc..
I priced some the hardware on line to build one and it starts to add up fast.
So to build one a little bigger with multiple doors, lights, vacuum port could fall into that price range.
Any thoughts?

I was thinking of buying one to help keep the shop cleaner and noise down.

David

bill z

Re: New HD enclosure

Post by bill z »

David,

I guess everyone can justify (or not) what they spend on their CNC. I'm just a hobbyist, so there is no return on investment here. I used mostly scrap wood and the total cost even with the LED lights was less than $100.00

I built a pretty stable and functional enclosure using wood, some sort of see thru plastic and some of those re-enforcement angle brackets all from the local box store.

This enclosure not only maximizes access but really reduces the sound level outside. Also, I find that it helps to keep the saw dust down and helps the vacuum.

Each of the 4 doors are split in the middle with piano hinges to reduce overhead issues. With doors on all 4 sides, cleaning is supper easy. For long or larger materials, I just open one of the other doors. When the doors are needed to stay open, Velcro does the trick. Door handles were made using the air conditioner duct webbing used to hang the duct work to the roof rafters.

Yes, maybe painting it would make it a little more presentable but I built it for function and not to be put on display.

If I were to redesign it, I would make the enclosure about 6 inches taller. On rare occasions, the vacuum hose is run into by the Z tower (just not enough flex room).

Hoping, some of this helps.
Attachments
Enclosure - Full View
Enclosure - Full View
Enclosure - CloseUp
Enclosure - CloseUp

dmyers

Post by dmyers »

Bill,
Thanks for the reply. I like your design it's well thought out.
I also would like to have access to all sides, which would help setting up my 4th axis or clamping large pieces.
I might order all the hardware and build one to my needs that is wider, longer and higher with 4 doors also. I
want to add lights and dust collection. I priced out all the parts and can build a similar one that meets my needs
for about the same price (just a big adult erector set).
This all started when my wife ask what I wanted for Christmas, at our age we do not
have a need for anything. I'm a hobbyist also and just play in my workshop on my days off from work. I build a lot of
things that we just give away to friends, family or a local elementary school when they need something unique.
I'll post a picture one way or the other when I'm finished with it.
Thanks again..
David

dmyers

Post by dmyers »

Bill,

Could not justify the price for a small box with one door. So I built one over the Christmas break form work.

It's wider, longer and taller, with doors on all four sides. I added light 4" vacuum attachment. With the doors on all four side

I can reach any area of the machine. With no reply's I guess no ones bought one of NextWaves inclosure.

Also, it only cost me ~$300.00 and my time.

David

Picture of cabinet closed
Picture of cabinet closed
CNC enclosure 2.jpg
Cabinet doors open
Cabinet doors open

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

dmyers --- Awesome Job on the CNC Enclosure!!!

I of course, cannot justify building an enclosure on my Shark Extended Bed CNC Machine. The dust is the only real thing that annoys me which I have seemed to have reduced to near nill due to my 4" vacuum system along with my NEW shop air filtration system.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

dmyers

Post by dmyers »

SharkCutup,

Thanks, for the reply.
I had bought the dust boot from NW and it was cumbersome to use, plus it obstructs your view of the bit and any problems that might go wrong while
carving. I have a nice Delta 1.5hp 4" dust collector on my table saw that is now hooked to a port on bottom backside of the enclosure with air vents in the top front so I get air and dust moving from front to back. Now all I have to do is run the dust collector and blow all the chips and dust to the back and it's sucked up. The shop will be easier to keep clean and the noise level has been reduced a lot.
I built the case with one sheet of melamine, 6 3.5 x.75 x 8' and 9 2.5 x.75 x 8' PVC boards 3 sheets of acrylic 36"x 72"x.093, pocket screws, 16 hinges, 8 door latches, 8 door knobs, 3 rolls of rubber window seal for small gaps (to seal around the doors when they are closed) 1 4" PVC drain, 1 2.5" cabinet grommet to run the cables out and 1 4' led shop light.
It was a fun build over the Christmas break from work.

David

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Very nice Enclosure Indeed!!!

One minor observation if I may --- there is a towel/rag on your control box. I would remove it before any CNC operations. The control box gets pretty warm during a carving operation. You want as much air flow around that control box or else you will be replacing it by keeping it additionally warm with that towel/rag.

I see that you have the 4th axis in your CNC setup. What is the max diameter of material that the 4th axis can handle? I have been to both the rockler.com and nwa websites and neither site specifies diameter information.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

dmyers

Post by dmyers »

SharkCutup,
Yes I used the towel to cover the keyboard on the laptop I use to control the CNC. I never cover the control box while it's running. The 4th axis the way I have it setup can turn~4" some people put it up on blocks and can turn 5-6". I mounted miner on a board with a t-track to keep the head stock and tail stock aligned, makes for easier set up. Hooked up the 4" dust collector today I may resurface my spoil board tomorrow and recheck all the Alignments to get it back up and running.

David

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Great!

Thank You for the info on the 4th Axis!

Good Luck on the alignments and resurfacing!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554