Router Depth in Billet Mount

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

gdon_2003

Router Depth in Billet Mount

Post by gdon_2003 »

I just installed the Dixie Billet Router Mount in my Shark Pro Plus HD. I also have the NWA dust boot with brush also attached.

Does anyone have an opinion on the maximum depth I should put the router in the mount in relation to the table. I have a 3/4" MDF Spoil Board over my usable area. Should I allow the router to kiss the spoil board without a bit in the collet or adjust it higher (Z Axis bottomed out). I realize that if I set the router too high I would not be able to cut through the material to the spoil board if through cuts are required.

Let me know what you think. The original mount and router (Bosch 1617EVS) was bottomed out in the mount.
Guy Donham

bill z

Re: Router Depth in Billet Mount

Post by bill z »

Guy,

Just so happens that I have almost the same set up. To answer your question, in my opinion, it only matters depending on what you will be doing with your machine. I mostly carve signs and for that it doesn't matter. On occasions, I work on wood gear clocks and guitars and for these it doesn't matter.

What does matter is, if there is enough adjustment from your collet to your cutting tip so that the tip of your dust boot does not flex too much on the last cut. It may not seem like much but the dust boot resists the downward pressure and can affect your project.

If I am cutting 1" to 3/4" stock, my first few passes will be where the dust boot doesn't touch and the last few will bend the bristles some. The way I determine is to put a metal ruler along the bottom of the bristles and measure how much of the bit is below, or not.

Hope this helps.

I am reminded often, the shark has no bones. It flexes more than you realize, even the HD versions.

gdon_2003

Re: Router Depth in Billet Mount

Post by gdon_2003 »

Thanks for your reply. I have noticed that in pictures most routers are set pretty low in the mounts. I have seen what you are talking about in that the first cuts the dust boot is not touching the material but late deeper cuts the dust bristles are touching the material. I will play around with the height but for now the router is almost all the way down in the mount and seems to be working.
Guy Donham