HD 510 Stalls and Jumps

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Nitro Dog

HD 510 Stalls and Jumps

Post by Nitro Dog »

While making a 1-1/2" profile cut with a half inch bit my router will stall and then my HD510 will jump out of the profile cut 1/4" or so tearing into the side of the cut. I'm only making 3/16" depth passes so I'm not sure what the issue is. Any ideas?

Kowalsker

Re: HD 510 Stalls and Jumps

Post by Kowalsker »

Some basic info is needed:

Speed? =
Feed? =
Tool Type? = (up cut, down cut, straight flute, 2,3, 4 flute, etc?)
Router model? =
Material? =

Bob

Post by Bob »

Add:
How far is the bit extended beyond the collet?
Is the collet properly tightened?
Are all bolts properly tightened on the router clamp, and on the gantry and the rest of the machine?
Are the hold down clamps on your material tight and positioned properly?
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Nitro Dog

Post by Nitro Dog »

Just got back into town and saw your questions.
I had taken off my water cooled spindle and mounted a Bosch 1617 and had my speed set at 18,000. I was using a 1/2" diameter 2 flute Whiteside straight bit (1072). The bit has a 2" cutting length which is why I went to a router with a 1/2" shank instead of the spindle. My feed rate was the recommended by Whiteside at 300in/min. The material I was using was a 1.875 thick Red Cherry. In answer to Bobs question the bit was firmly into the collet and did not extend out which is why I went to the router and the size bit I did so that I could get my desired depth. Everything was tight on the machine and I had actually used a wider piece so that I could screw it down into my spoil board to avoid any chance of inadvertent movement. I was approximately 1-3/8" deep of a 1-5/8" cut when this occurred.